Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    I cant get help, need advice
    An_250809 posted:
    I am 24 years old, with two small children under 5. I have arthritis in my spine and the rest of my body with compressed discs. I probably have more medical problems but I dont have insurance to do the tests. I managed to get an mri and x-ray before my insurance was canceled thats how i know i have the above. When I have tried talking to doctors about pain medicines they dont take me seriously or make me feel like some junkie. But I have two little kids to take care of and my back and knees kill me and i have tried doing it with no pain medicine. Now not having insurance it has been harder than ever to get help. I dont qualify for any assistance programs because they say are monthly income is too high, when the only income we have is my husband disability. I am at my wits end, i am trying to stay strong for my boys but its hard when i am so miserable.
    ctbeth responded:
    Hi from Connecticut,

    I'm sad to read what you have going on.

    Do you mind if I ask a couple of questions?

    Most important, did you have an opportunity to meet with the MD who ordered the x-ray and MRI to have the findings explained to you?

    I believe that all fifty states now have the 2-1-1 community information phone number. I am surprised when I tell of this and find that few actually are aware that such a community referral program is in existence.

    You can try calling 2-1-1 and find out if there are any free or low-cost clinics in your area.

    Have you tried taking the OTC anti-inflammatory meds, like Aleve, Ibuprofen, Naprosyn? If you're not sure which meds (and you can get many in generic) are actually non-steroidal anti-inflammatory meds, ask your pharmacist.

    They are commonly used to treat arthritis, which is an inflammatory process.

    You can also try other non-prescription topicals, like icy hot and that sort of thing.

    Of course, it sounds like the more important matter to you is getting professional medical help.

    Please try the 2-1-1 thing.

    Let us know, okay?

    I am so sorry that you're going through this.
    It's difficult to feel as if we're not totally present for our children, especially when they're too young to understand.

    You did write that your husband is disabled, but not if he's at home with you and the children. If so, I hope that he's able to participate with the child care.

    Good wishes,

    blessedladyptl responded:
    Did you apply for Medicaid for the children ? Reason I'm asking is because if they qualify, as a parent with kids under 18, you should also qualfy. Income & resources are counted. Also, if their Dad is on SSDI they might qualify to draw from his benefits.
    suz1catz replied to blessedladyptl's response:
    Did you try applying for SSI or for medicaid ? Have your doctors told you that you are disable and unable to work. If so I would get a letter from your doctor saying you can't work get a diability lawyer and try to get social security disability.
    Trying to help..
    lorigibs40734 responded:
    I'm so sorry to read about what you're going through. Can you not get medical help from your husbands disability?

    Have you tried looking around for income based clinics? Your hospital might help you there.

    I live in Ky and in my area, there are two clinics that are income based, and one free clinic that is open on Saturdays.

    Please check with your hospital, or former MD, make sure you have ALL of your records from previous MD's.

    It's hard to live with pain and not taking anything and also trying to take care of your family.

    I wish you the best of luck!

    Featuring Experts

    Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

    Helpful Tips

    neck/skull pain
    I have exactly the same pain problem from the sound of it. Does it feel like a hot slicing pain in the neck and an irritated nerve running ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 2 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.