Skip to content
Butran Pain Patch
iowaroadunner posted:
Can someone please answer this question for me concerning Butran Pain patches....Is is okay to take off the patch during the night time hours (in order to make them last longer..cuz of the high price)and if so, how can you store them properly? (also do they dry out, if you take them off? Thanks!

RagdollCat responded:
Pain Patches are made for continuous administration of medication. So no you cannot remove it and expect to get your pain relief.

annette030 responded:
If you feel you don't need medication for your pain at night, perhaps you only need to take a long acting pill and take it during the day. I did that for awhile, I took the generic of MS Contin once a day in the AM when I woke up. It worked well for me for about 6-8 months. I bet it would be much cheaper also.

I currently take methadone, very cheap. Less than $30 a month for three times a day coverage. Talk to your doctor after checking your insurance company formulary to see what they will help you with. Be honest with your doctor about the financial end of things.

Take care, Annette

iowaroadunner responded:
Thanks for your response! I DO need the pain medication at night but due to the high price thought maybe I could make the patches last more than 7 days if I took it off at night. Does anyone know if you take them off at night and store them in the ddisposal paper without sealing it---will they dry out or lose their strength?

ctbeth replied to iowaroadunner's response:
The patch will not completely dry out, but the adhesive will weaken, which alters the way it's released into your circulation- NOT a good idea..

More important, your blood level of buphrenophrene will drop below clinical value, and it will take a while each day when you re-apply it.

Along with what Annette said, if the cost of the Butrans is the factor that is inducing you to take it off at night, and lessen your pain mamagement, it would seem as if it's time to talk with your PM about your trying a less-expensive, generic pain med.

The patch is not designed to be removed and re-applied. You're not getting the pain coverage that you need when it is not used exactly as directed.

Best wishes,

GodwUs responded:
You can apply with social security for what is called extra help, your Doc needs to fill out a form, mine are 6.50 yes an dont take them off, they need to stay on as they release the needed pain relief. Your defeating the purpose, they are high I know, but call SSI and they will send you a application for extra help. I will never use anything but Butrans, also they build up in your system an if you even wait a few days before you apply the next one you will not go through any withdraw. They stay in your system a long time. None of this short acting horrible for you dangerous pill popping. God Bless an call by law they must send you the forms.

GodwUs replied to RagdollCat's response:
RIGHT RIGHT!

ctbeth replied to GodwUs's response:
Hi Godwus.

Be aware that the originator of the discussion may not be enrolled in SSDI.

I have been accepted for SSDI, but do not qualify for, "extra help". In my mind, the worker's comp pay I receive is paltry, but Social Security denied my application for extra help saying that I was over income.

Taking pills as prescribed is no more dangerous than using a transdermal system, such as Butrans and Duragesic.

Many get adequate relief from short-acting agents and do not require a long-acting po (per os, or by mouth) opiate for pain management.

The reality is that the short-acting po meds contain far-less active ingredient than the long-acting, especially trans-dermal (patches). When you apply a Butrans patch, you're applying an entire week worth of opiate at once.

"Pill popping" short-acting preparations involves handling far-less opiate, thus the pills are far-less dangerous.

All Social Security Disability information and application info and forms can be accessed at the site:

http://www.ssa.gov/pgm/disability.htm

Again, if the cost is the decisive factor in your situation, I urge you to discuss this with your MD. Many long-acting meds are available in generic form and are quite inexpensive. I take MSC and it is about $30.00 per month.

Best wishes.

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

tramodol
have taken tramadol several times...i have seen no benefits to this med...extremely weak pain med More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.