Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Butrans- patch efficacy
RagdollCat posted:
When I change Butrans pai patch on the 7th day it's as if I have to start all over again getting the pain medicine in my system. There is no relief again for the first 3 days. Anyone else with this problem? And does anyone have a solution?
Thank you.

ctbeth responded:
Hi Ragdollcat,

Do you love Rag Doll Cats? They are adorable <3

I do not use the Butrans patch, but I have had a few-plus years experience with pain meds.

Under the situation that you've posted, I'd suggest that you discuss with the prescribing MD. I would think that your changing the patch more-often than every seven days would help, but your MD will have to make this decision.

Are you on the 10 or 20 mg? If you're on the 10 mg, perhaps your MD can assess if you need the higher dosing.

I hope that you'll be able to resolve this and that the Butrans will be a good pain management option for you.

I wish that I could use it as the once-weekly change seems very attractive.

CTB

RagdollCat replied to ctbeth's response:
Hi CTBeth,
Yes I have a blue bi-color ragdoll and she just a sweetie! I am using the 20mcg/hr patch. On my 5th week of the patch- happen s every time I change the patch it's like as soon as I take the "old" patch off and place the "new" on- it's as if I have nothing in my system.
Hoping another Butrans patch wearer would have some suggestions or the professional aligned with the pain discussion.
And I do use hydrocodone as breakthrough pain med but doesn't seem to help. Very low dose though. My Dr. made me go cold turkey for 2 weeks before placing me on the patch then made me wait an additional month before prescribing an oral opiate. NOt a very pleasant way to be- physical withdrawals were rough and the pain was outrageous. Don't know what I did to deserve that type punishment- that's what it felt like.

ctbeth replied to RagdollCat's response:
Hi RagdollCat,

Yes, others who are using Butrans will be a better resource than I can be.

I did use the Duragesic patch for a few years before my SCS.

Of interest is that Duragesic is only indicated in patients who are opiate tolerant, which means that going two weeks before commencement of the patch is definitely not how Duragesic is prescribed or used.

Perhaps Butrans is different.

Sadly, whatever anyone here may say, or what you or we read, the decision is up to your MD.

I have a spinal cord stimulator as my main pain management modality. The battery is dead and it's been almost a month of waiting for insurance approval to have it surgically changed.

Yes, I am miserable with pain as this is my major source of pain management.

I cannot, and I hope that you also abandon, the belief that this is some type of punishment. It's just the way things are.

We do not have to like it, but if have to accept it, lest we go through life angry and cynical.

It's 6 PM and I am still wearing a dressing gown and haven't bathed, dressed, eaten, or left the house today. This is a crappy way to live, but what is my option right now?

Please discuss this with your MD.

Perhaps print out your first part of this discussion for the MD to read.

Good luck. I hope that it works out and that you'll return to tell us what happens.

CTB

ctbeth replied to 77grace's response:
Hi Grace!!

Well, I spent about an hour in the Jacuzzi, and am now watching Agatha Christie, "Miss Marple" on the BBC.

I bought a subscription to Acorn.com which enables me to strem all of my favourite shows from England- all with no advertisements.

I confess that I've not blown dry my hair or worn a spot of make-up in weeks. I've been out for MD appts, to the grocery with my daughter, and that's about it.

I could be resentful and angry that it's been almost a month since my SCS battery died. What good would this do? It's frustrating and I'm suffering more-than I should, but what's my option?

I suppose that there is some spiritual significant that it's Lent, thus I feel honoured to carry my cross with dignity, but few see suffering in this light, so I'd better not write any more on this subject.

I'll chat with you in email, ok

CTB

annette030 replied to ctbeth's response:
Hi, Beth

I really like your attitude!!! Since my son was in Afghanistan during its invasion, many years ago, I decided to never sweat the small stuff. I stopped with worrying about traffic, I just leave a bit earlier. It has carried over into many areas of my life, including dealing with chronic pain.

When will you get a new battery for your SCS?

Lent is a good thought. A close friend of mine did church on Ash Wednesday early in the morning, and carried her smudge of ashes humbly all day long. You carry your cross the same way she carried her ashes. I do appreciate privacy about these issues.

Hugs, Annette

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

Sleepy
I have been on the same pain medication with no change and all of the sudden I can't stay awake and am losing weight. Has anyone else had ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.