Skip to content
Methadone used for pain management and opiate abuse?
An_250893 posted:
I am new to this site so not sure how it really works. Please do not judge me or post rude or nasty replies. I am 30yrs old and have had 5 back fusion surgeries done in the last 7yrs. Before the surgeries I was prescribed pain medicine all the time and never struggled with it. But somewhere down the road after my last surgery I began to take more medication than I was supposed to. Once this happened things slowly spiraled out of control for about two years. I finally made the choice enough was enough and went to rehab and got clean. When I got out of rehab I was sent home on suboxone which helped with the addiction but the pain was horrible! For a year and a half life was very unbearable because my back limited literally everything in my life. So about 6 months ago I started going to a pain clinic cause I just wanted my life back. Of course I have done PT, steroid injections, and the spine stimulator which didn't help. Things were going just fine but now my addiction is rearing its ugly head and I refuse to go down that road again. So what I am wondering is if Methadone would be a good solution? I just want to lead as normal life as possible and well the problem is I can't do that without pain meds. So I am just wondering if Methadone would be a solution to my problem? Thank you.

blessedladyptl responded:
Methadone is also used for pain relief, but no one here can say if it would be a solution for you or not. We aren't professionals and even if we were..the internet doesn't give all of the info needed. Call the doctor or hospital that treated you before for the substance abuse and see if you can get a appointment.

I hope nothing in my reply offended you. If it did, I Apologize, that was not my intent.

BlessedLady

ctbeth responded:
Hi An_250893,

I must agree with blessedladyptl,

You have a complicated history which is best managed by a pain management MD and some psych support to deal with the addiction piece.

There are some other options about which I'd like to discuss in private. Please write to me at:

BethHuntington@live.com

If you would be so kind as to write Web MD in the subject line, so I'll know that it's from you.

My email from un-recognized senders automatically goes into my "junk" file.

I will check this file carefully to see if any email is from Web MD members. I can then place your address on my "safe" list.

I await your contact, and do not lose hope.

TTYS,

CTB

77grace responded:
Hi 250893,
First of all I want you to know that I really understand where you are coming from!We have alot in common!
I have had Chronic pain since I was about 18 years old and I'm in my 50's now!It's mostly the last 25 yrs. that it's been constant!I also became addicted after taking meds for several years!
Then I got clean for 15 years and the pain was like yours.Time passed and now after 2 surgeries i have to take pain meds to funtion!
More continued next
77grace

77grace responded:
Hi again
I am adding to my reply!
So I am taking Methadone and it works pretty good!But as far as your addiction problem ,that's a personal thing and also If I were you unless you have alot of time ,I'd be carefull with anything that is addictive!
I would Love to talk to you more freely if you would like !
You can Email me at
hendrickson3980@roadrunner.com

77grace

annette030 responded:
You need to discuss this with your doctor. The doses are vastly different for pain management and addiction. I would talk to both an addictions doctor and a pain management doctor.

I take methadone for my chronic pain now, and I was an RN years ago in an opiate addictions clinic. I have been on both sides of the coin, and I can freely admit that I can't help you, please discuss these concerns with your treating doctors.

Take care, Annette

GodwUs replied to annette030's response:
I was forced on meth after they accused me of "altering" my prescription. Long story I wont go into but it became a legal matter. But Because back then I was on so much medication they put me on methadon. It worked...but when I tried to get off it and out of the clinic ...the withdraw was sooooooo bad I was either going kill myself or get something to not only ease my pain but the withdraw. This was before Suboxon was being used. I went out an shot herion for 2 months. I SUFFER WITH CHONIC SPINE PAIN but at the time under this investigation no pain clinic would help me nor did they care an they could of. I was immediatly judged an looked at as some lower bottom sea roach. I finally made my way to a pain Doc who put me on Butrans an he the patch saved my life.

TDXSP08 responded:
A person with an addictive personality can become addicted to ice water or chocolate milk, more and more evidence is showing that it is a genetic mental illness.

You need to be in treatment with a team of doctors An Addiction Psychiatrist and a Pain Management Doctor and they will have you do UA'S frequently to monitor your blood levels of prescribed meds and make sure you atr not going off the Reservation for any other drugs.

Peace
i have no small step for man, but i have 6 tires for mankind,Watch your Toes!

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

Opana and sweating
I take Opana ER, Vicodin, Soma for arthritis pain and compressed nerve root. I also take Zoloft and Klonopin for depression and anxiety. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 7 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.