Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
PAIN
gram12 posted:
I HAVE PAIN IN ALL MY JOINTS AND I FELL DOWN STEPS AND INJURED MY HIP. I AM FACING HIP REPLACEMENT AND BOTH DREAD IT AND LOOK FORWARD TO IT. SOMETIMES THE PAIN IS
UNBEARABLE. I USE A WALKER AND A WHEELCHAIR TO GET AROUND, BUT I STILL HAVE A GOOD MIND AND STAY BUSY. I ENJOY MY FAMILY AND MY PART-TIME JOB. THE PAIN IS WORST AT NIGHT AND I HATE TO SEE BED TIME COME AS IT HURTS TO LIE DOWN. I TAKE PAIN MEDICATIONS SO THAT I CAN ENJOY MY GOD-GIVEN LIFE AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. I HAVE ALSO DISCOVERED THE NUTRIENTS TURMERIC AND SAMMe. THEY BOTH SEEM TO HELP TO LESSEN THE PAIN TO SOME DEGREE SO THAT I DON'T FEEL THAT I HAVE TO TAKE QUITE AS MANY PAIN PILLS. HOT SHOWERS ARE HELPFUL TO A SMALL DEGREE. ANYTHING I CAN DO TO LESSEN THE PAIN. WEIGHT MANAGEMENT IS ANOTHER THING TO WATCH. YOU MAY NOT HAVE A WEIGHT PROBLEM BUT I DO. I HAVE LOST OVER 20 LBS AND I CAN FEEL A DIFFERENCE. I AM SORRY FOR YOUR PAIN BUT MOSTLY SORRY FOR THE EFFECT THAT IT HAS ON YOU EMOTIONALLY.

TDXSP08 responded:
If the bed hurts replace it!!!

I sleep in a full electric (goes up and down and the fet and head go up and down at the push of a button) Hospital bed made for home care and chucked the crappy mattress it came with and spent $500 dollars on a three level sculpted memory fom mattress made by the company that makes the bed,no pressure points, no huge amounts of pain ,My bed is my escape from it all!!.My oasis of almost free of pain from my wheelchair because i'm so thin when i sit in my chair i sit directly on both sciatic nerves which is really painful so when i can not tolerate that any longer its back into bed i go. And yes chronic disease whether its MD MS CP Chronic Pain all put you on an emotional roller coaster as well as leave you vulnerable to depression, we carry crosses that other people can never imagine nor fully understand how how much of us those crosses consume of energy,attitude, strength,forgiveness, all the aspects of life.,
i have no small step for man, but i have 6 tires for mankind,Watch your Toes!

lorigibs40734 replied to TDXSP08's response:
I know this is probably off topic but.....

I had a sleep study done a while back and they had those TempuPedic beds there. I usually only sleep three maybe four hours til I can't stay in bed any longer, but actually got a decent night sleep on this one.

I started looking into those beds, but a lot of people are complaining about them. So I started looking into the Sleep number beds, same thing.

It's frustrating because I need to replace my regular bed, but don't want to buy a really expensive bed and not like it....

ctbeth replied to lorigibs40734's response:
Hey Lori,

Have a look on YouTube for "Bed in a Box". For real!

Kevin bought one for me and it was far less-than a Tempur-Pedic.

Have a look on YouTube for "Bed in a Box". For real!

Kevin bought one for me and it was far less-than a Tempur Pedic and I love, love came, love it.

On YouTube you can see how it comes packed. It was very cool. Ours came with two "Earth Pillows" and I love them, too. There is a video of me and Kevin opening and setting up mine! He video'd us, LOL

You can also look up customer comments.

It's a big expense and a huge decision, so reading actual users comments does matter.

My son, Jeremiah, has a Sleep Number bed. He has the same issue I had when I was a child. He's had the bed since he was nine yr old and likes it a lot.

Another nice thing about the Sleep Number bed is that you can try it at the store.

TTYT

TDXSP08 replied to ctbeth's response:
Well i will say the medical memory Foam mattress that i sleep on that i bought 4- 4 1/2 years ago i loved it then and i still love it Today ,its not like being in bed its like being suspended in neutral gravity you do not feel like you are laying on anything.

these are just my experiences with the Invacare Medical Memory Foam Mattress which is used to relieve shearing and pressure sores cauesed by traditional mattresses of those at risk for skin breakdown (such as those of us who's bed is there oasis from PAIN caused by sitting,and some days when getting out of bed is just tou much and not worth the effort.

Peace
i have no small step for man, but i have 6 tires for mankind,Watch your Toes!

lorigibs40734 replied to ctbeth's response:
I looked them up on Youtube and read the comments. I went to their website and looked around. The bed looks like it would be comfortable, but it is a huge expense as are the other ones mentioned.

Wish I could get one, but right now, it's outta the price range.

lorigibs40734 replied to TDXSP08's response:
Well, I've read quite a few complaints about memory foam mattresses and the sleep number bed.

Most people complain that the memory foam makes them "sweat" in the summer and is hard a rock in winter. Among other complaints.

The sleep number bed doesn't work as well or as long as it's stated in the commercials and they have no return policy.

I can't afford the really good ones ($5,000 ), and I'm afraid to get the cheaper models.

I might look into getting a topper for my bed, see how that works.

peskypain responded:
Sorry to hear of your pain...

For me, I could not afford to get a new bed so I bought (At Sam's club) for less than $200 a 3 inch memory foam mattress topper. It has helped tremendously with my pain levels at night.

I still have to change positions every hour or so through the night but that is because I have many spine issues.

I also have a contoured neck pillow and then one that goes between my legs and arms so that when I am on either side, my spine is completely aligned.

The other key is making sure that your room is cool enough..should be 68 degrees or less. And then absolutely dark. No blinking lights from TV, computer, phone.....

When do you have the hip surgery scheduled? If you know that you need this then why wait? I know two peope, a family member and a friend who have had these surgeries done and are doing so much better now.

And congrats on losing the 20 pounds so far....if your weight is one of the reasons for waiting for the surgery then keep pressing forward working with a Physical Therapist as well as nutritionist. It's not like this guarantees that your pain will disappear but being a healthy weight as well as not having any other issues like diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol is something that we should all strive for to better our overall health and make surgery easier on us.

Good luck!

ctbeth replied to peskypain's response:
Oh my gosh,

I use the contour neck pillow in the same manner as you!

Are you sure that we're not the same person, LOL

annette030 replied to lorigibs40734's response:
I use a 4-5 inch mattress topper of memory foam and it is wonderful. I replaced it after about 5 years, when I felt it no longer helped. It was less than $200. I would not bother with one thinner than 4 inches. Just my opinion.

We have an electric mattress pad over the top of it, my husband really likes the extra heat.

Take care, Annette

annette030 replied to peskypain's response:
Great tips for sleeping better!! I also use a pillow between my knees for good spinal alignment.

I forgot to mention, my husband had a hip replaced and did really well afterwards. Got off of his cane, and worked as a truck mechanic for a couple more years before he finally retired. His hip was bad after a fall from a truck he was working on. He went a couple of years trying to get a skin wound healed from the same fall. Hip replacement is nothing like knee replacement, it is a fairly easy joint to replace.

Take care, Annette

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

want to know if anyone has gone threw the pain im having
got a bulgin disc between c5 c6 pain goes form my neck all down my spain threw my back... the lower part of my back is swollen.... have ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 13 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.