Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
please help, extreme pain in 21 year old
An_250953 posted:
Hello everyone,
I am starting to become really overwhelmed and frustrated with my pain and I really could use some advice. About a month ago I was diagnosed with bursitis in both hips, and told if I rested and took advil, it would get better. The pain started to spread down my legs and now I have extreme pain in my heels, particularly when I wake up in the morning. My joints are so stiff and painful I can barely get out of bed, and even walking to the bathroom seems like an impossible task. I also cannot lift my legs and getting up a flight of stairs is extremely painful. It gets better as the day goes on but I am never pain free. If I try to run, I stumble and almost fall. The pain is getting worse and worse and I dont know what to do. Could this really just be bursitis? I am only 21 years old, and have no history of injury. Today I woke up and have a shooting pain on my left arm below my shoulder whenever I put pressure on the arm. It also happens if I raise my arm above my head. This is really difficult because I have been using my arms to move around a lot and now this pain makes that almost impossible. I am just so frustrated I am a college student and I feel like I am going to have to take a medical leave or something if it stays this bad because I can barely walk to my classes. Please, any advice you have would be greatly appreciated.

77grace responded:
Hi 250953,
First of all I think you should go to the Dr. we are not here to diignose and I don't know much about what you have !!!!Are you still going to the same Dr.??
Let me know ,I will stay in touch if you want!I also have Chronic Pain and I have for a long time!
Take care 77grace

blessedladyptl responded:
You need to go back to the doctor that dx your with bursitis. It sounds like you may have some nerve involvement. Often this can clear up on it's own, but the problems your having with mobility and pain suggest this may not be the case for you. You may beed to see a Neurologist for a nerve study also called a EMG.

The pain in your left arm and shoulder could be from problems in your neck or from putting pressure on your elbow by leaning on it.The pressure on your elbow is something that a person can do without realizing it...until the pain hits. You might be leaning on it when you move around or you could be leaning on your elbows to try and move around in bed. This could be especially true if you're laying down reading, talking on the phone, ect. Just try to be move aware of where your elbows are and any pressure you may be putting on them..it doesn't take alot. If you are putting pressure on your elbow and stop it, the pain should begins to subside then you've probably found the problem. BUT, mention it to the doctor when you see him, even if the pain in your arm and shoulder has improved.

kate734 replied to blessedladyptl's response:
Thank you so much for your reply...I went back to the doctor who diagnosed me with bursitis and now he is testing my blood for rheumatoid arthritis which is kind of scary, especially for someone my age...I will know soon enough. Thank you again

kate734 replied to 77grace's response:
Thanks for your response! I went back to the doctor and now he suspected rheumatoid arthritis which is kind of scary. Thank you for your help though!

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

want to know if anyone has gone threw the pain im having
got a bulgin disc between c5 c6 pain goes form my neck all down my spain threw my back... the lower part of my back is swollen.... have ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 13 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.