Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Replies are off subject
An_250959 posted:
Sorry people but am interested in your ideas or opinions about the lack oof the Butrans patch to not work but 3-4 days max while prescribed (by MD and manufacturer) for 7 days. Also that it takes several days for it too "kick in".

BJKuehn responded:
While not completely on subject of BuTrans patch, when I was on the Fentanyl patch, I had a similar problem wherein the patch was supposed to last 72 hours but was petering out after 48 hours. My doctor just told me that I was a "fast metabolizer" and rotated me into either Avinza or Kadian (I can't remember). Maybe that's the problem for you. As to it kicking in days after putting it on -- you got me there. Have you tried the oral form of buprenorphine? Also, rotating from one opiod to another is kind of a guessing game for the doctor I've decided. Going from 40 mg of Kadian required going to 60 mg of MS Contin, which required going to 40 mg. of Opana. And, God, I hate the withdrawal symptoms associated with the changing of meds. Aaaaargghhh!

Anon_57995 replied to BJKuehn's response:
Hi BJK,

The research has, repeatedly, shown that the 72 hr Fentanyl patch loses its blood level significantly after 48 hr.

Most pain management MDs now order every 48 hr patch changes.

While Butrans patches are relatively new, there probably isn't as much actual patient-use data, but you may find something useful.

Probably the best move right now is to tell your prescribing MD exactly what it is that you're experiencing.

Perhaps Butrans patch isn't the best med for you.

BJKuehn replied to Anon_57995's response:
Hi Anon-57995

I also found that when I got physically overheated (unintentionally), that my body seemed to suck the Fentanyl patch dry. I had to be so sensitive to the temp. in my physical surroundings.

Have you had any experience with an implanted pain pump? If so, do you have as much trouble with having to rotate meds like you do with the oral forms?

An_250959 replied to BJKuehn's response:
Anon-57995 and BJKuehn- thanks for the ideas and the suggestions. I think my patch this past administration wasn't placed flat and "pressed on for 30 seconds" before the tegaderm was placed so the eradict pain relief. But as you all have stated it only lasts 3 days at the most. He has ordered Hydrocodone 7.5/500 one twice a day- like taking a baby aspirin for break-through pain. This week's placement on my upper arm ais flat and feels smooth (not rumpled)- placed Friday am (pain 9/10) and begin to work yesterday (6/10).
I think I"m an experiment for him with this patch- all his other patients have had skin problems and had to have it discontinued.
I do like not having to take pain meds several times a day and not having to deal with the ever suspicious pharmacy and office staff. Only wish they could feel my pain for just one hr then they'd wisen up.
Any suggestions of other type pain relievers?

ctbeth replied to An_250959's response:
Hi friend,

Foremost, please, please hear me: Do NOT make any decision based upon the pharmacy staff! This is your life we're talking about here. If there is ever a problem, ask to speak to the lead Pharmacist, not a tech.

I am fortunate with my Rx, but if the pharmacist has a problem with your meds, I suggest informing him/ her that if he/ she does, then for him/ her to discuss this with your prescribing MD.

Your MD is ordering these meds for you. End of discussion (betwixt you and the Pharmacist)

There are a few long-acting opiate meds that are taken twice a day and one of which I know, that is a 24 hr time-released med. It's called Exalgo and it's a long-acting form of Dilaudid.

Methadone is a long acting opiate. I do not know the dosing, but when I was taking it, it was three-times a day. Others may only require doses twice a day.

Morphine Contin, which is what I take, is also prescribed two or three times per day (24 hr.)

I take it twice a day: at 9 AM and 9 PM.

Oxycontin is also a 2 or 3 time a day med.

Duragesic is also a trans-dermal (patch) that is changed once every 48 to 72 hours.

Of course, better to discuss this matter with your prescribing MD, but meanwhile you can look up some of these meds for your own knowledge base.

If the Bu-Trans patch is not right for you, there are options that may be a better "fit".

Oh yes, the long-acting opiates goal is that you always have a constant blood level, so your pain levels don't go up and down all day and night.

Please keep in touch, and consider using your first name. That's just my quirk that I prefer to address people by name. It's NOT a requirement

I do not sleep much of late. It's 416 AM in Connecticut.

UGH~

LOL,

Bet

RagdollCat replied to ctbeth's response:
Thanks CTBeth for naming quite a few longer acting pain relievers. You're right the goal is NOT to have the high and lows of pain like with short acting pain relievers and the Butrans patch is not fulfilling that goal. I plan to contact my MD today and let him know that this is still occurring.
Oh yes I do have a forum user name it's RagdollCat, I had to use the anonymous route since there was a slight problem with another forum discussion question and others had been rude and didn't want them to follow this discussion.
Butrans has a known problem with irregular and at times fast heart beats of which I do have at times. Presently almost controlling with propanolol, a beta blocker. Will let my MD know about this too.
He had mention the methadone diskettes at our initial meeting and e said he was hesitant to try them. He said there was definitely a stigma about their use. I don't care about that if they work.

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

Every Chronic Pain Patient Needs to READ THIS!!!
There is a group of thirty seven Doctors, Companies. and Researchers that are petitioning the FDA to change the labels on Opiates so that ... More
Was this Helpful?
41 of 46 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.