Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Still in Pain 6 weeks after back surgery.
nanny09 posted:
I had back surgery on Feb 7th, from a herniated disc into the nerve root. Since the surgery I have been in alot of pain. I have went back to my Nureologist for help. He has put me on 150 mg a day of Lyrica. I have only been on it for a week and I am still in pain. I can no longer sleep in my bed, I am quessing it's to soft to support my back. I am not sure what has happen. I had sciatica. I still have a litte of this pain down in my lower leg and parts of my foot still numb. I now have sharp pains across my back goes into my hips & groin and down the from of my legs. When I stand to long my left leg hurts so bad I either must sit ddown or bend it upward to get relief.. I have no idea what is going on here. I do go back to see my Nureologist this week?????

suz1catz responded:
Hi Nanny, The saying is "time heals". Your body needs time to heal after a surgery. I would also make a appointment with the surgeon who did your surgery.Itell them how uncomfortable you are and also the pain your in. Took over 1 year for my neck surgery to heal but that was a normal time. I wish you the best of luck..

ctbeth responded:
Hi Nanny09,

I second SueCatz's reply.

The surgery itself will result in a temporary inflammation which can be exhibited by pain in other areas, resultant of compression on additional nerve roots.

However, as you're going to see your neuro (neurologiost or neurosurgeon?), it would be only proper to share your concern with him/ her

I hope that it works out well for you. If you feel like it, would you write after you see the neuro. and tell us how that went for you?

Best wishes and get well soon,

CTB

nanny09 responded:
Today, 3/19/13 I went to see my Neurosurgeon, He has set up for me to have an MRI. I have developed also tingling and numbess in my foot. My hip to foot when walking more than 10 feet is excuricating!! It almost feels like the hip is out of place, but when sitting down, I can move and twist with no pain.

cweinbl responded:
1. The success rate for spine surgery is about 60% (less if you've had prior surgery). I know... your surgeon doesn't tell you this. You must research it on your own. Here is the latest, greatest research on all spinal interventions: http://www.painphysicianjournal.com/2009/july/2009;12;699-802.pdf . Caveat Emptor!

2. Nerve damage can take up to a year to heal. You are at 6 weeks. Chill out. If you still have as much pain a year from now, it might be permanent.

3. Lyrica is not a pain medication. It is an anti-convulsant that can be used off-label for neuropathic pain. If it isn't helping, ask your doctor for some REAL pain medication (Fentanyl Transdermal, Kadian, Oxycontin, Oxycodone, Hydrocodone, etc.).

4. I was like so many others here. I jumped into spine surgery when othe rtreatments failed. I did not do enough research on my own. But today, spine surgery carries one fo the lowest success rates of all forms of surgery.

Good luck.
cweinbl
csw2@bex.net

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

how do you live with chronic pain
how do you live with pain everyday More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 62 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.