Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Chronic Headaches,what about rebound??
77grace posted:
Hi Out there
I have been around and in Chronic pain for a long,long time!
Some of you know somew of my story ,some don't!Anyway it started when I was about 15 with terrible headaches!!!
This is to be quick so I can post now!
Anyway its about 30 years latter and I also have other reaaly bad pain issues ,
will continue this in a bit ,I don't want to lose all this
anyway for more than a month I have a headache everyday!At first I just kept taking headache meds,
Now Rebound...do you know?????77grace

77grace responded:
Hi ,its me grace.I was afraiad I'd get cut off .i'm not a very fast typer1So Can anyone relaate,because its driving me crazy !!!Logically I know tha i'm only suppossed to take a certain amnount of imitrex per week!Sometimes that's fine sometimes it hurts so bad it feels the back of head will blow off!
I'm at the point where i think I just have to tough it out,UHG!!!!
I know it's bad if I can't even go to the hair dressor and get my grey roots colored and all thatr stuff!
Help,talk to me!
77grace

ctbeth replied to 77grace's response:
Hello my friend, Gracie (you'll always be Gracie to me,- private joke)

I have forgotten- have you tried the Botox treatment for the headaches?

Yeah, you really did get nailed with a horrible genetic disorder.

You have my email. If you want to chat on Facebook, you can look me up using my email. We can then chat or Skype in real time.

Oh yes, my email will show my profile. Beth is my middle name, so if you see the same middle and last name, it is I.

So... I got insurance approval today for the SCS change. I am so happy (but still cannot sleep)

The neurosurgeon's office is going to ring me up tomorrow with an OR date. I am psyched!

XO,

Bet

Peter Abaci, MD responded:
Grace,

Rebound headaches have now become one of the most common causes of headaches. Surprisingly, rebound headaches can occur from not just the frequent use of pain killers and common prescription headache medications but also from over the counter analgesics like acetaminophen and ibuprofen. Therefore, it makes sense that you would consider rebound headaches as a possible factor.

Stopping or weaning off of whatever medication or medications that may be contributing to the rebound headaches is usually what is recommended to break the cycle. As this can lead to a temporary increase in headaches before they start to get better, this can often be a challenging process to go through, but may provide long-term improvements in the headaches. Before making any medication changes, it would be a good idea to talk to your doctors about this and work out a plan that seems like the best fit for your situation.

suz1catz replied to Peter Abaci, MD's response:
I had a headach that sarts from the back of my head goes to the front of my head in 2008 when I was in a car crash. I had a cerical fusion in 2011 which didn't help my head ache. I've had so many tests and seen so many doctors. I have this head ache every day. I've tried shots and nothing helps. Some days I wonder how I get through. I would appreciate your help.

Anon_27116 responded:
Hi 77Grace,
I also have tension and migrain headaches. Do you take any other meds for your headaches other than the imitrex? I know about rebound headaches like the Dr. talked about here. I just wanted to know if you have ever taken fioricet or fioricet w/codeine? I take the one w/codeine and it works very well for me along with phenergan for the nausea and then of course I have sumatriptan. My pain management dr. prescribes methadone and valium and another muscle relaxant. I have real problems with my neck and jaw also.
I hope that you get to feeling better soon. I sure understand how these headaches can really mess up our lives and plans that we make.
Good Luck

annette030 responded:
Yikes, rebound headaches are a migaineur's worst nightmare, at least this one's. The only cure I know for rebound headaches is to not take any drugs at all and live through it. I have heard it can take up to six weeks, but not usually.

Please talk to your doctor, maybe you can consider just changing drugs??? I would not even guess, just tell him everything.

Take care, Annette

annette030 replied to 77grace's response:
I got to speak to the head research pharmacist at the company that made Imitrex about 14-15 years ago, they only had studies using it 3-4 times per month for one year, that was their long term study. The guy was appalled that I was taking it 3-4 times a week. He also sent me a study that showed Imitrex also causes rebound headaches. Talk to your doctor.

My doctor studied the times of day that I took the drugs and the time of day the headaches started. He came to the conclusion that they were not rebound headaches, I was not having a headache every day though, like you are.

I followed the studies back then and got on a protocol that works for me, using a couple of good old generic, cheap drugs for most of my headaches and using whatever Triptan the insurance covers only for headaches that wake me up from a dead sleep. I have not needed those for many years. The generic ones work fine most of the time. Since I am not working anymore, I can put up with occasional sedation.

Please, talk to your doctor!!!

Take care, Annette

annette030 replied to ctbeth's response:
Great news, Beth!!

Hugs, Annette

smann68 replied to suz1catz's response:
Hi suz1catz,

I know you're looking for a response from the Dr., which I am not. However, I was just wondering-I guess you've had an MRI? Did it not show anything?

Susan
alwaysinpain

Peter Abaci, MD replied to suz1catz's response:
I don't think there is a test out there that adequately captures what the body goes through when it is in a high-impact injury like a car crash. There is so much force that gets transmitted through the structures of the spine, yet there isn't a test that can evaluate the consequences of that. Even an MRI can sometimes look pretty normal after a significant car crash, even though the person hit may hurt from head to toe.

With that in mind, continued headaches after a motor vehicle accident can be related to multiple factors like muscle spasms in the neck, postural changes in the neck's curvature, inflammation around the joints that help support the head and neck, and closed head injuries to name a few. It may help to approach the problem as one where your whole body has been through a significant injury as opposed to just your neck. For example, the military has experimented with using acupuncture on the front lines after high impact injuries. When pain problems are that challenging, I think taking a whole person approach, including addressing both the physical and emotional effects of the injury work the best.

suz1catz replied to Peter Abaci, MD's response:
To: Dr Abaci, Thank you very much for your reply. So heart warming to know there are people out there that care. I can tell you that I have addressed this problem both physicaly and mentaly. I had 4 doctors tell me that my that my head ache is from my auto accident due from the impact of a 18 wheeler truck slamming into the back of my car because he was on his cell phone. I've had every test you can imagine that the conclussion is there is nothing that can be done. So it's called acceptance. I apprecaite the feed back. Thank you.

77grace replied to suz1catz's response:
Hi suz1catz,
well, I just wanted to thank you for joining in on my question and it helps knowing someone out really does underestand!!
Thankfully I did get a few days free from headache I think 3 days with no headaches meds,but ,today got really bad,they are really weird!I think more like tension even though imatrex helps! So I did use one oif the sprays and it has helped enough that I can get up and make Dinner ,I am so thankfull for that!
I don't work and just try to do what I can here so if I can make supper it matters to me !!!
Love to all 77grace

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

want to know if anyone has gone threw the pain im having
got a bulgin disc between c5 c6 pain goes form my neck all down my spain threw my back... the lower part of my back is swollen.... have ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 13 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.