Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Sciatic nerve pain for over 4 months
An_251095 posted:
I was diagnosed with sciatica in November by a chiropractor. I have had flair ups since I was 15 (I just turned 26) but this was the first time I went to a doctor. I went for adjustments 3 times a week for about a month and my back did get better, but ever since it feels like I have a pinched nerve in my hip and the pain shoots from my hip to my knee to my ankle. It's the worst when I wake up in the morning and gets better when I move, almost to the point where it's completely gone, but if I sit down for any period of time I hobble when I get up. Sometimes the pain is so bad it makes me nauseous. I lost my insurance at the beginning of March and I'm a waitress, so I'm on my feet 8-12 hours a day at least 5 days a week. Any advise to help make my life easier would be greatly appreciated.

ctbeth responded:
Hi Anon,
The first piece of advice is to not return to a chiropractor.
They are NOT MDs, and not competent to give diagnoses.

I am sorry that you were injured by one.

I copied one link that has lots of info, and I have to copy and paste another in a separate reply.

To properly diagnose sciatica and get properly diagnosed, including what would be your best next move, you really need to be evaluated by an MD, who may order an MRI, or other diagnostic tests.

Chiropractors cannot order MRIs, or any diagnostic tests, like labs, They can only use x-rays, which do not detect the sorts of things that are probably causing your pain.

Depending on the documentation of your back pain before you were mis-treated by the chiro versus your condition now, you may even have a malpractice case against the chiro. You'll need to discuss this with legal counsel, if you want to consider that option.

Be aware that the statute of limitation of medical malpractice is two years.

So, do have a look at the link, and I'll post an additional link below.

I'm really, really sorry that this has happened to you.

http://www.chirobase.org/

CTB

Anon_57995 replied to ctbeth's response:
Chiropractic was founded in 1895 by Daniel David Palmer, a grocer and "magnetic healer" who believed that all diseases are the result of misplaced spinal bones.

According to his theory, "subluxations" of spinal vertebrae cause disease by interfering with the flow of "nerve energy" from the brain to the body's tissue cells, that the human body can heal itself by "spiritual flow". The only "professional" care needed is chiropractic manipulations to relieve "subluxations"

Spinal "adjustments," by restoring vertebrae to their "proper places, allowing brain energy and spiritual flow to heal the diseased condition."

It should be obvious that anyone wishing to treat a disease would first have to accurately diagnose what needs treatment. But followers of chiropractic philosophy see things differently:

Their obligation is merely to examine the spine, find the subluxations, and correct them. A "medical diagnosis" is unnecessary.

Chiropractic students, past and present, have not been taught by skilled medical diagnosticians.

They are legally barred from using many diagnostic tests that could be crucial to proper medical investigation. Nor are they able to study the care of patients in hospitals.

Since chiropractors are licensed as "doctors," most people who consult them expect to be properly medically diagnosed.

Patients also assume that if their problem is beyond the scope of chiropractic, they will be referred to an appropriate practitioner.

Since these assumptions are incorrect, the more the patient relies on the chiropractor for diagnosis of his case, the more vulnerable he will be.

Patients who use chiropractors as primary physicians, either because they don't know any better or because they have been turned off by orthodox medical care, run the greatest risk.

There are two main types of chiropractic malpractice:
(1). failure to diagnose conditions that require timely medical attention.

(2) Damage from manipulation of body parts that have been weakened by disease or previous trauma.
[blockquote>A 58-year-old woman consulted a chiropractor for low back and left hip pain. The chiropractor performed a cursory back exam, and x-rayed only her lumbar spine. Diagnosing "lumbar nerve pressure syndrome," he manipulated her low back area with her left leg flexed. The patient's problem was actually a fractured hip. Manipulation disturbed the fracture and made normal healing impossible. As a result, the patient required surgical implantation of an artificial joint.

A 38-year-old man who consulted a chiropractor for low back pain was x-rayed, examined briefly, and treated with spinal manipulation. Despite three months of treatment, his pain persisted and he consulted a second chiropractor who treated him in a similar fashion. When his pain persisted, he went to a medical doctor who ordered tests that led to a diagnosis of Hodgkin's disease. The patient's pain had been caused by swollen lymph glands. The patient died from advanced disease, diagnosis and treatment was delayed due to failure of the chiropractors to refer the man to a medical doctor.

A 58-year-old man with back pain became paralyzed from the waist down after spinal manipulation by a chiropractor. Unknown to the chiropractor, the patient's spine had been weakened by metastatic bladder cancer. The chiropractor's evaluation did not include a medical history, an orthopedic evaluation, or a urinalysis. An x-ray film was taken.

A 55-year-old man who consulted a chiropractor for pain in his midback, chest, and left shoulder was told that his pain was "nerve pressure" from a spinal subluxation. His problem was actually a heart attack requiring immediate hospitalization.
[/blockquote>This last case is of particular significance because few conditions are less appropriate for chiropractic care than an acute heart attack!

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

want to know if anyone has gone threw the pain im having
got a bulgin disc between c5 c6 pain goes form my neck all down my spain threw my back... the lower part of my back is swollen.... have ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 13 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.