Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Arthrex BioCartilage
bmcnary posted:
Hi Everyone!

I'm new to the forum and am posting on behalf of my mother who severe knee pain. I'm unsure of the term, but her doctor says that there is no cartilage remaining in the knee so she basically has bone on bone grinding away at each other which is putting her in immense pain. Her orthopedic surgeon suggested a new type of minimally invasive surgery from the Company Arthrex. The product is called "BioCartilage, Micronized Cartilage Matrix". Because the product is very new, I haven't been able to find any information on it; specifically reviews from patients. Has anyone had this done? My mom is a 55 year old woman and can barely put any pressure on her leg. Any information, especially from people who have had this done, would be wonderful. I was also wondering if this is a short fix and if she should just go with a half knee replacement.

Any information would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Brandon

Take the Poll

If you were in her situation, would you go with the non evasive or the half knee replacement?
  • Minimally Invasive -- "BioCartilage Micronized Cartilage Matrix"
  • Half Knee Replacement (non conservative)
  • Try to lose weight, physical therapy (conservative)
  • Other -- Please describe!
vote
View Poll Results

annette030 responded:
Ask the doctor who will do this procedure for more information. Tell him you are there with your mom, because you are interested and need to know more.

Take care, Annette

kzalasky responded:
Hi, I am a 27 year old, fairly fit, female and just had a microfracture procedure with biocartilage and osseofit on 5/6/13. I've had two prior surgeries on the same knee about 8 and 9 years ago. I had level 4 chondrosis on my lateral tibial plateau. The recovery so far has been a breeze. Before surgery my knee hurt constantly. I could barely walk for more than 20 min. The recovery will require no weight on the leg for at least 4 weeks with a continuous passive motion machine 3 hours a day. I have also been using a cold compression machine. I was able to stop taking the prescription pain meds 3 days after surgery. Swelling is fairly minimal now and a hardly even need OTC pain meds. I haven't reached the weight bearing or PT stage yet, but so far I'm very pleased.

sarajanepick replied to kzalasky's response:
How is your knee doing now? Still holding up? I'm considering having either the osteochondral allograft or the arthrex biocartilage procedure for a defect on my medial femoral condyle.

annette030 responded:
I would work on the conservative stuff first.

Take care, Annette

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

Sleepy
I have been on the same pain medication with no change and all of the sudden I can't stay awake and am losing weight. Has anyone else had ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.