Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Thank you all
ctbeth posted:
Dear friends,

I am happy to report that my surgery date for the Genesis battery is scheduled for 22 April.

I'm grateful for all the kindness and support that members have shown to me, especially over these past five weeks (since battery failure)

I don't kwo what I'd go without you .

77grace responded:
Hi CTBeth,
I am very Happy for you,you have waited too log for this!!!!
I pray that you will feel better soon!!!
We will chat soon, Latter 77grace

annette030 responded:
It is terrible that you must wait so long, but at least now you have an endpoint.

What does the surgery entail, and what kind of anesthesia is used?

Please take good care of yourself.

Hugs, Annette

77grace responded:
HI CTBeth,
I am soooooHappy for you!!!!Thios sounds like something that really helps so more power to you and the Doctors!I wish and pray all the expertize na dpwer fo your way!
We will talk soon,

Love 77grace

ctbeth replied to annette030's response:
Hi Annette <3

Always nice to "see" you.

The anesthesia is local. The surgery entails opening up the same incision, removing the IPG and replacing it.

It takes most time to attach the IPG to the paddle lead.

It is closed with staples. The incision is about three inches long.

I do not have much sensation in the area, so it's somewhat uncomfortable, but not painful.

Due to my lack of sensation, I am prescribed anti-biotics fro ten days, as I cannot feel the signs of infection.

The staples remain for fourteen days, then I'm good-as-new, relatively, LOL

I'm so happy that the wait is almost over.

Thank you for caring. It matters.

Love,

Beth

ctbeth replied to 77grace's response:
Hi Gracie!

Thank you so much for your kind thoughts and prayers.

Do keep in touch via email, okay?

I've been concerned about you and haven't heard from you in a while.

I know that your sufferings are difficult and your faith is great.

Love,

Beth

ctbeth replied to 77grace's response:
I am now just thirteen days away from SCS surgery.

My MDs have consulted one another and the decision is that I'll possibly get longer IPG life with a replacement unit in its entirety, and not just a new IPG.

This is a little-more invasive, but I'm okay with it.

The per-cutaneous lead does not get changed, but stays in, and I'd have a new paddle lead. The same incisions I have will be re-opened.

I have no sensation where the IPG is placed, but full sensation for the lead placement. It would possibly entail an additional laminectomy, and I'll get more area of coverage.

I would like to know, from those with SCS:

1) If you have a re-chargeable unit, which company and IPG, if you know, have you? How often do you re-charge, and how long does the actual re-charging take?

2) If you have a non-rechargeable, how often do you require IPG change? Which company/ unit have you?

Thank you so much. Since I'll be having the entire thing replaced, this would be my opportunity to change to a different IPG and company, if I wish.

Right now, I have a St Jude's medical Genesis IPG with one per-cutaneous and one paddle lead.

I have had implanted SCS since 2007 and annual IPG replacement.

Again, thanks to anyone who can give me further info, and thank you, also, for the kind wishes.

It's been ten weeks with no stim and it's tough.

CTB

dfromspencer responded:
OMG!!! I just put up a post to let you know we would all be thinking of you! How cool is that?

I got the date wrong tho, I thought it was the 21st.? My bad!

Oh well, here goes again...

GOOD LUCK BETH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WE WILL ALL BE THINKING OF YOU ON THAT DAY, ESPECIALLY!!!!!!!!!!!
LIVE LONG-LOVE WELL!!!

annette030 replied to ctbeth's response:
Sounds probably worse than it is after all you have already gone through.

Best of luck from me naturally.

Hugs, Annette

kenny63 replied to ctbeth's response:
Hello CTBeth,
I have recently joined this blog. I will give you my experience. I have a Boston Scientific SCS. It was implanted with two leads from S1 up to T 9, I think. I have a rechargable battery implanted in my left hip area. I have a battery in a charger ready to re-charge my internal battery all the time. I have a belt with a pocket for the external battery charger and I attach the belt over the implanted battery. Charging takes about 45 minutes. The charge in my hip battery lasts about a week, but that depends on how high I push the intensity or which program I use. I have had this implant since May of 2011. I have had to have the battery re-implanted in my hip area because of weight loss, but other than that, no problems with my SCS. I have had meetings with my rep to adjust my settings and programs, but they have been wonderful so far. I have no numbness in the incesion areas, but when I had to have the battery implanted a bit deeper, I too had about a three inch incision with staples and 10 days of antibiotic. I have several friends who returned from Afganistan and they have had total re-sets, meaning the leads had to be placed higher near the spinal column and they did not require a laminectomy. I don't know your situation, but I certainly hope you don't have to have that done. The vets I see have had excellent results. One of them just had the new Boston Scientific SCS implanted and it has four leads which covers a larger area for him. He really has had some horrible injuries but so far is happy with this new implant. Boston Scientific recently got approval for this extended lead stim. I had looked into SCS before my implant and was really put off by Medtronic because of their set up. I had not heard of St. Jude's stim. I was told I won't need a new battery for 10 years. I can't imagine having to have a new battery implant every year. I know a fair amount of people in my area who have the Boston unit and some have had their battery implants for four years. In any event, my prayers are with you and I hope I have given you some information. I am not a rep for Boston Scientific! If there was something out there that was better I would try for it. I truly believe these SCS's work as good as the doctor is that implants them. I was so lucky to find an extremely fussy and perfectionistic pain doc ( anesthestiologist) who implanted mine. Sorry this turned into a long story. Prayers to you every day.

ctbeth replied to kenny63's response:
Hello Kenny,

Thank you very much for all of your info.

I have had ANS/ St Judes Genesis SCS since 2007.

I do not have a re-chargeable battery. It died in mid-Feb and my re-place date is 22 Apr.

I lack sensation in the battery implant area due to spinal cord injury that has left me with alteration in sensation. I've had the battery and entire unit changed more-than once. Yes, I do have a full laminectomies at T-5 and T-6.

Right now, I have been given a few more options than I had before. I have about a week to decide, as changing the entire unit will require a longer OR time, so the surgeon's office will need to know my decision to book the OR time.

Sadly, thus far, no matter how we work the numbers, I'll have to charge a re-chargeable battery more frequently than I wish. Still, I'm considering all options and appreciate that you wrote. I have a percutaneous and a paddle lead both active.

I'm pleased to hear of your success with SCS.
I love mine so much, and am open to options that could reduce the annual battery change.

Thank you so much.

dfromspencer responded:
Don't worry, Beth, you will never get rid of us, we are here for YOU!!!!!!

Dennis
LIVE LONG-LOVE WELL!!!

john0208 replied to dfromspencer's response:
Hello Friends,

This is John here new to this site.Within 12 to 24 hours afterkneereplacement surgery After a hip replacement, it should be taken 32 to 38 days after a kneereplacement 10 to 14 days.
kneereplacement

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

Every Chronic Pain Patient Needs to READ THIS!!!
There is a group of thirty seven Doctors, Companies. and Researchers that are petitioning the FDA to change the labels on Opiates so that ... More
Was this Helpful?
44 of 49 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.