Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
getting off of oxycodone for chronic pain
sittingbull594 posted:
I have been on oxycodone for chronic knee and back pain as well a tens unit for i think 2 years. I am 54 years old. They tell me my nerves are hyper alert or some such.

I had shingles last Nov.-Feb. I am over them now. My doctor last Oct. or so did a urine test and it came back that there was none of this medicine in my urine or so she says. She told she had an older man who was giving his kids his pills. This is not hte case with me. I take my meds. I have never lied about or given my pills to anyone but myself as the user of this medication.

I know that she is really mad at me and doesn't believe me. I offered to do a lie detector test but can't afford the test at 500-700.00. I have to go in and see her on thurs. I'm just wanting to go off this med because i don't like being called a liar! I know no other way of clearing my name but the lie detector test.

I'm going to cali to see my first born grandchild mid april and fear I will be in a lot of pain because my son lives on the 2nd floor. I know if i dcline this medicine I will be in a lot of pain. I just don't know what to do??? What would you do??

and if i do go off of the oxycodone how would you taper off. I went off this medication before but don't remember why and got horrible headaches. I think in May I may be able to afford a lie detector test tho she said that wouldn't change her mind in doing random drug tests and I said I didn't expect her not to!!! She has been my primary for a long time and i just can't believe this is happening! I've been very dizzy and went in last month but didn't see her because she wasn't in and it was very dangerous. It is again and i can barely handle it. I may be pre diabetic and wonder if it went to full blown diatbetes because nothing else makes sense of what it could be.

Anyway that's another issue. THe main issue is maybe I just take the lie detector test and put it on a charge card. This is not fair at all! and it really ticks me off that she thinks I'm a liar because I have not abused this med.

77grace responded:
HI sittingbull594,
Well it sounds like a bit of a mess and I have been sorta is a similar situation!It's prbally been almost 1yr ago when I was with a certain pian group!I had run out of my Diluad and probally was out for 5 or 6 days!So,on top of it I felt miserable!Anyway my Dr. asked for a UA and I di'nt even thinf bout it !Then she said NO Diluad showedup
Will cont.next 77grace

smann68 responded:
Hi sittingbull594,

I wonder if the dr. would be willing to retake the test. This is not the first time I have heard of the test being wrong. Usually it's the other way around though, showing drugs that shouldn't be there.

I don't understand why a dr. that knows you and has been your dr. for a long time would just automatically want to drop you. It's a very scary situation.

I also have the "hyper alert" thing and I also have pain in my leg joints. If you're going to be doing a lot of walking or going up stairs, I would not recommend going off the meds. You would probably not make it long.

Anyway, I hope you can get your dr. to understand or do another test. Keep us informed.

Best of luck!

Susan
alwaysinpain

77grace responded:
I'
m confused !!!It's sound's like you are saying you need more oxcodone for thi visit and thaen in the nest post it's how do you get off of fit??????
I 've been in btoh situation s so I'd like to help but I need hnest rea;; desire to get help!
I'm here,77grace

ctbeth responded:
It's almost 4 AM and I must try to get some sleep, but I wish to make a small comment before I sign off, lest I forget:

Please do not waste your money on a lie-detector test, especially if money is an issue in your household.

If you are committed to doing this, before you do, please ask the MD if you do so, and are being honest regarding your drug use, will he/ she re-instate you as her patient?

Oh, you do not actually tell whether your MD has dismissed you from her care because of the urine screen.

Your appt is Thurs; I hope you'll update us.

Good luck, and please come back

sittingbull594 replied to ctbeth's response:
I am being 150% honest about my usage of any kind of medication. I have a mental illness and I've had issues with alcohol abuse. Not recently however. If anything you would think this doc would acuse me of abusing the oxycodone.

I did not keep the thurs. appt. However, do have an appt. with her at 3:20 today. She has repeatedly refilled my oxycodone.
I don't know what she will say today?? I am going to ask her if she still feels that I gave away my oxycodone. I will defend myself! BECAUSE I DID NOT GIVE AWAY MY OXYCODONE EVER! NOT ONCE NEVER!

I am not going to do a polygraph test and spend the money on that because as i've found out they are only 60% accurate and this was from a man that does them and is a law enforcement officer.

Thank you for welcoming me to this forum. I'm shaking cuz i'm scared of my doctor. I'm going to see if we still have a working relationship or if it's broken and non repairable.

ctbeth replied to sittingbull594's response:
Please let us know how the appt goes, okay?

cweinbl responded:
How would going off the Oxycodone prove that you are in pain? There's no guarantee that your doctor would reinstate the meds even if you pass a lie detector test.

Drug testing is far from foolproof. One could have used no medication and still flunk the test from something consumed, like poppy seeds. Some people taking opioids have inconsistent plasma and urine levels.

The only logical solution is to repeat the urine test. If you're taking the Oxycodone as directed, it should show up. If your physician won't agree to the repeat urine test, find another doctor.
cweinbl
csw2@bex.net

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.