Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    no other choice
    An_251318 posted:
    dr cut me off cold turkey and wont provide me a reason
    . and no referral. i only have an obgyn no pcpi have no way to get appt with new pm dr anytime soon and im having withdraws and in terriblr pain. can i just take what a family member has?
    lorigibs40734 responded:
    Well that is just horrible! Was the dr your PM specialist? They should have at least given you a reason not to renew your meds. Having gone through something similar back in December, I totally feel your frustration, not to mention your pain. I'm so sorry this has happened to you!!

    You might can try calling your local hospital, or look up PM specialists in your area on the internet. You can ask your OBGYN if they can help you find a pcp who might can help you. You might also try going to the ER, they can give you a shot, if not a prescription, to give you a few hours relief anyway, and maybe also recommend a PCP or a PM specialist for you.

    As for taking someone else's meds... well... I don't think we can tell you yes or no there. You're not suppose to take another persons prescription but I hate the thought of you being pain too. You'll have to use your own judgment there.

    I wish I could be of more help to you.
    An_251318 replied to lorigibs40734's response:
    I DONT KNOw what i did wrong so or what his reasoning is.... I Would hate to go ER and then get medication. then pcp give me meds and then another pm dr. WONT THAT LOOK LIKE DR SHOPPING? Whatever i choose could be turned against me. THE FACT THAT I REALLY HAVE pain and now feel even worse!! AND then lets just say i get a new PM dr. He will request records and i am not prepared to have any way to know how to deny accusations
    ctbeth replied to An_251318's response:
    So, you right now have no PCP, but have an Ob/Gyn who referred you to a PMD.
    , is this right?

    Would you be willing to tell a little more about what happened with you? Injury or disease that requires pain meds, eet al?

    As far as taking another person's meds, that's not a good idea, and it's illegal and potentially dangerous. Also, if you get an appt with a PMD and a urine screen is done, you'll potentially have another person's controlled meds in your system. Ultimately, only you can make that decision.

    Far as going to an ER, probably not a good idea if you want opiates. Perhaps they, or even your Ob/Gyn, can prescribe you meds that can make the withdrawal less miserable.

    Good luck, and I hope that others may have some better ideas for you.

    lorigibs40734 replied to An_251318's response:
    OK Let's try this again.. the first one didn't post.. guess the site was hungry and ate it??

    It's not considered doctor shopping if you go the ER. I live in Kentucky and they do not give prescriptions of narcotics out to pain patients where I live. They may give you a shot that will offer some relief but rarely do they give prescriptions for any type of narcotic. .

    It's also not considered doctor shopping for your own MD to give you meds until you can get into a PM specialist. Have you gotten a regular doctor now? Your obgyn might can help you find one.

    You can request your medical records from any physician's office who has ever seen you. You'll need to sign a release form and it usually takes a few days to get them together and make sure there are copies of any tests, blood work, x rays, MRI's, etc included in the copies. Look them all over and make note of any discrepancies. I don't know how to get inaccuracies removed from medical records but you can make your own personal notes and go over them with a new doctor.

    I really wish you the best of luck and please keep us posted.

    ctbeth replied to lorigibs40734's response:
    Hi Lori,

    This 251318 has posted in at-least three other discussions.

    She is the one who got discharged from pain management after either one or two visits, depending upon which post you read.

    She was told that she was dismissed because her urine was positive for Percocet and Valium and she is prescribed Norco.

    As far as her question: "can I just take what another family member takes?" It's a free country. You can take whatever you want. It's wrong and illegal, and if you get caught, you can have further difficulties- even more than you're in now, but, if that's what you want to do- go for it!

    In addition to her urine being positive for Percocet and Valium, and the PMD prescribed her Norco, which she tried to get filled early with a written Rx, while the MD faxed the RX in and she got it filled, then showed up with the written Rx.

    It's all in the four different posts.

    There is an orthopaedic surgeon and a pain management MD both involved, who have prescribed for her.

    In another post, she states that she doesn't think that it's her fault if she is getting meds from two MDs that prescriptions have "overlapped".

    In yet another post, she claims that she was referred to a drug abuse clinic and asks if she can sue the MD for malpractice, as she claims that the drug rehab has not contacted her and that the MD has not given her the info to contact the drug rehab.

    So, Anon_251318, "thrown to the wolves", "2honest", et al, Please call 211, which is community help line for almost all of the USA and ask for drug rehab info. They'll be able to help you. If you show up at an ER and tell them that you need to go to a drug rehab, they'll refer you.

    I do not think that there is anything that a pain management community can do for you.

    Please try to be honest with yourself and stop blasting the community with different versions of the same story.

    Featuring Experts

    Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

    Helpful Tips

    neck/skull pain
    I have exactly the same pain problem from the sound of it. Does it feel like a hot slicing pain in the neck and an irritated nerve running ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 2 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.