Skip to content
Sciatica concern
hayzlipgirl12 posted:
Hello. This is my first time in the community, although I have visited the site for answers to various different ailments over the past couple of years. Anyhow, my wonderful husband has quite a colorful history of severe back pain throughout different stages of his life. When I met him first in September of 2011, he had been through treatments of medications and all of that before and wasn't suffering from the pain at that time. Then last summer, he helped a family member of mine by moving her old washer out of the basement up two half-flights of stairs, by himself, with a dolly. Ever since that day he's had this terrible, constant back pain. I'd say he says it's in his lower back about 95% if the time. Sometimes, once in a blue moon, he complains of pain in his middle/upper back as well, and in the last 5 months or so he's been having pain shoot down either his left leg and buttock area, and sometimes he says's it's shooting in both. He's tried all kinds of prescription pain killers, opioids and others, all of which are a temporary mask for his pain. It comes right back after they wear off, and we're both exhausted at how many things we've tried for him and are finding no permanent result or relief. He plans to go back to his primary doctor soon to discuss other options. It's so hard for me to watch him suffer, and he doesn't sleep well because of it. I'm wondering if anyone out there who might have this same problem and pain could tell me what has worked for them? We're to the point where we're considering scheduling him for an MRI, but aren't sure entirely if we really need to consider that as an option yet. So I'm just looking for some advice and tips from someone who might suffer from this as well. Thanks!

ctbeth responded:
Hello hayzlipgirl12,

Kind-of interesting screen name,

You do mention your husband seeing his primary care MD. That's a good place to begin.

If this is the MD who has prescribed Rx "pain killers", including opiates, then this MD must be aware that your husband's pain is real and significant. That he has an MD who is listening to him is a major plus.

As far as an MRI, it would seem prudent that either the PC order one, or the PC may refer your husband to an orthopaedic MD, who will most-likely want further diagnostics, or a neuro-surgeon, who also will want further diagnostics. One cannot get an MRI without an MD's ordering it.

Of course, none of us can say for sure, but I would guess that his MD will want an MRI so see what's going on. Treatments can proceed from there once he gets an MD and a diagnosis.

There are many treatments for the common reasons that cause the kind of pain you describe, many being non-surgical.

I hope that he can see his MD soon and get him headed int he right direction.

best wishes,
CTB

77grace responded:
Hi hayzlipgirl12,
I agree,Quite the name,COOL!
Well If the DR. suggests an MRI ,I'd get it !They cover such a wide range of problems and can help to see the problem ,At least point you in the right direction!
I hope he starts feeling better soon!
Peace 77grace

annette030 replied to 77grace's response:
Part of having chronic pain is learning to just say "NO", even when people you like ask you to do something nice like move a washer up two flights of stairs with a dolly, alone.

He had his pain under control by then and I am sure he thought he could do this one thing. It is a life changing thing, chronic pain, you must change your ways of thinking and doing things for the rest of your life.

I hope his doctor comes up with something that helps him, but I would not expect a cure or permanent relief. Good luck to you both.

Take care, Annette

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

tramodol
have taken tramadol several times...i have seen no benefits to this med...extremely weak pain med More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.