Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Upper Back Pain
    dustin_braham posted:
    Hello, my name is dustin and i am 16 years of age. I currently lift and am pretty athletic. Recently i have felt pain in the upper back. When i bend forward and try and arc/hunch my back a semi-sharp pain radiates. I went to chiropractor and he said it may have just been me being too tight from not stretching enough. The pain is also limiting in a sense. It runs down my spine in the upper region. I really want to feel a crack that makes me feel better although it may not be that kind of injury. There was no all-of-a-suddent click or lock into that place i simply woke up with this kind of pain. On a scale from 1-10 when bending forward and arching it is about a 6. If anyone knows what this could possibly be please respond back. Thanks.
    77grace responded:
    Hi, And Welcome!
    I hope you can get some answers here!
    Do you have insurance or a DR.????Besides a Chripractor?They arre fine wheb needed but ,you should be very careful!It would be good to have a few opinions!It sounds to me me like you may have slept on it wrong and you tweaked it !So,
    get alot of rrest !
    Take care,77grace
    dfromspencer responded:
    Hi Dustin, Welcome!!!

    The very first thing you should have done, was to see your family doctor!!! A chiro is fine, but not when its your back that is in pain. Always see a doctor first, in case its a pinched nerve, and a chiro may make it worse.

    Since you are a weight lifter, it could be a cracked disc? Or, it may even be (God Forbid) a herniated disc?

    Go see your doctor!!!

    Good luck, and keep us informed, please!!!


    Featuring Experts

    Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

    Helpful Tips

    neck/skull pain
    I have exactly the same pain problem from the sound of it. Does it feel like a hot slicing pain in the neck and an irritated nerve running ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 2 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.