Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
anyone having trouble in NY with the new I-STOP law
An_244266 posted:
well it looks like NY gov knows whats best for the people docs are so afraid of this new law that they are weening people off there meds not only sec2s but benzos and sec3s well what used to be sec3s they just uped hydro to a sec2 no more refills for hydrocodone procucts and by aug you have to go to the doc and they have to use the I-STOP program before prescribing any controlled substance which pulls up a real time history of all your prescriptions over the internet and soon no more paper scripts only e scripts for controlled meds this means no more calling in refills you have to go to an apt to get refills if i wasnt on ssdi and had the $ i would move now i dont know how bad its going to get but i will do what ever i have to do to live how i am now just about a year ago i was gonna kill my self then i found this great doc that saved my life im stable on my meds pass all my UDS sign my rites away get injections now this the junkie scum are gonna find a way to get what they want and if you abuse or take something thats not prescribed to you then you deserve too suffer NOT me i just hope im not forced to break any laws or eat a bullet cuz the gov feels sorry for dumb asses that get addicted to stuff they shouldnt be taking any way any feed back would be great if you live in ny and have seen the effects of gov telling docs how to do there jobs
FirstPrevious12NextLast

ctbeth responded:
Hi An-244226,

What is the "new law" in NY?

Why are MDs afraid?

Regarding "calling in" refills for controlled meds, this is not a new law. One can get refills of hydrocodone meds, just not via phone or FAX.

There has been a DEA regulation for many years (pesky, help me out with the year, as I'm guessing 1996) that persons taking Schedule 1-11 meds have to be evaluated by an MD every three months.

This is not new.

For MDs having access to a " real time history of all your prescriptions", may I ask why you do not think this is a safe and appropriate thing? This would not impact anyone but those getting Rxs from multiple MDs.

What rights have you signed away to get injections?
Are you referring to a controlled med contract with a pain management MD?

Again, nothing new and nothing that would prevent any patient from getting pain med prescriptions; one just has to follow the rules to get the pain meds that are our privilege, not a right.

If you do not have anything about which to worry, then don't worry.

Anon_2912 responded:
Heck I can't even get my refills by phone on MY THYROID medication...I if I run out of refills and can't get any until I see the dr., if I can't get in to see the dr. they will call it in BUT they will charge me $60.00 for it....

But I do have enought to last me for about 3 months, my THYROID medication is only for 21 days..insurance says so...So every 21 days I pay 42 bucks for my prescription because my Endo does not want me on the generic, which I could get 90 days for $6.00...Uggh...

I can only get 2 refills on my ambien after that my pharmacy has to get an approval from my dr. for another 2 refills. I have a feeling that the ambien I have been on for MANY yrs. (Suffer from insomnia due to graves/hyper) will eventually be cut off. I asked the pharmacy why only 2 refills at a time, she said and I will quote "because I do not need ambien to stay alive", but I do need the thyroid medication to stay alive. ( I don't have a thyroid)...

I just have to laugh all the stuff we have to do now..I am thankful I don't need ANY pain medication so far....

ctbeth replied to Anon_2912's response:
Below is a NYSenate press release. I have read the legislation in whole, and this seems to be a valid summation.

The medicines and that are effected by this legislation are controlled substances, not hormone replacement.

Thyroid replacement med prescribing or distribution is not effected by this legislation.

It is your MD's decision that he/ she does not want you to take generic thyroid. There is no legal mandate that your endocrinologist charges you $60.00 to call in a prescription.

Your thyroid med issues are related to your MD and your insurance company, not the NY senate.

It is also your insurance company, not the NY Senate that pays for 21 days of medicine.

That the Ambien is filled for only three months seems quite reasonable.

Your MD, not the NY Senate, will have to answer to why you're maintaining a Graves Disease diagnosis since, subsequent to thiroidectomy, and having no thyroid, would make it medical mis-treatment to have too much thyroid (TSH, T3, T4) hormone, as it is being controlled by external source- thyroid med.

Not that most chronic pain patients are the ones who are abusing the substances, however, we would be ill advised to think that there is not a problem that needs to be addresses.

A little extra effort on our part can help decrease un-unnecessary deaths. Personally, I'm willing to accustom myself to any new regulations that will help save lives.

Why do you "have to laugh at all the stuff we have to do now"? It appears that your refill issues are related to your MD's desires to medicate you properly and prescribe you Ambien for a hormone excess that you cannot in fact actually suffer, since you have no thyroid to overproduce hormone that would give you hyperthyroidism.

If you actually do have Graves, your MD can lower your external source of thyroid hormone and regulate you to normal levels.

Regarding the statement that your pharmacist allegedly made, that you get three months (one original and two refills) on Ambien, there is nothing in any legislation that claims that you must require a medicine to stay alive in order to get more-than three months of it prescribed without MD assessment for the continued need.

Perhaps you should actually read the legislation and see what actually effects your prescription woes, and which is related to your MD and insurance company's decisions.
http://www.nysenate.gov/press-release/new-i-stop-law-help-state-fight-prescription-drug-abuse

suz1catz replied to ctbeth's response:
I have no problems getting my pain medicine. I go my PMD every month and pick up the scripts and get them filled at the pharmacy. I can only hope this saves lives cut down on kids getting high off of pain meds.

Bree74 replied to ctbeth's response:
ny has uped all hydro to a sech2 and you now have to go face to face to get a refill every month docs are afraid of what the NY gov will interipate as over prescribing so they rather not deal with the dea comming into there office and going through everones records that is on a controled and loose there lisence if someone slips through the cracks and decides to sell or share a couple of there meds the docs will get introuble if that happens

Bree74 replied to suz1catz's response:
as of now wait till aug when this all takes effect it should be the parents keeping there kids off drugs and not point fingers at everyone else when they fail to keep there kids safe i would never have even thought of using drugs that where not ment for me when i was a kid because i was afraid of my parents they were strict and kept a close eye on me and my brother i hated it then but i thank them for it now we rely on gov to too much do your job parents or dont have kids

Bree74 replied to ctbeth's response:
parents and community need to keep people from taking things they shouldnt not gov more laws make more lawless people and maybe the severly disabled dont have it as easy as you to just comform and jump through hoops for what i see as rite to not suffer and cronic pain is suffering maybe your pain isnt that bad and mabe you can drive and maybe you get more than 900.00 month to live on and have famly to help you maybe you have more than a few pm clinics in your area i do not if people choose to take something they should not or abuse something they should not i should not have to suffer because of there stupid bad choices or parents not keeping there kids under on the straight and narrow and thinking is the gov job to save there kids when its the parents job they just cant admit they failed as a parent and cry to congress my kid ODED do something well its to late you as a parent should have done a better job of keeping an eye on your kid if gov told parents the cold hard truth then kids would not be taking near as many drugs if the said heay its up to you as a parent to keep your kids off this stuff or its on you you take care of the thing you love the most in the world that would change things for all that have lost someone due to an accident for you i am truly sorry but i was beaten by some druged up looser during a robbery while i was looking after my dieing grandmothers house and thought it was empty i blame a iresponsable bad parent for my life screwed good nite

ctbeth replied to Bree74's response:
That is quite a vitriolic, Faulkner-esque sentence.

Should government have any voice in monitoring for the safety of its citizens?

Should there also be no firearm licensing, as parents should teach their children not to shoot people?

If a set of parents is not verbally-competent to teach his/ her children safety, should that child have no rights to protection due to poor parenting?

How about driver's licensing? Should the parents teach their children how to drive safely with no safety laws?

If the parents do not teach well (fail, in your words), then would you suggest that the child deserves to die in a traffic accident because his parent lacks adequate teaching skills?

Should there be no laws governing potentially-harmful substances because it is a society's parents who are responsible for their child's safety awareness.

If a person is injured or dies, then the child and parents deserve the loss, because government should not interfere in monitoring substances dangerous to an individual and deleterious to the society.

Just a discussion/ syllogism, not an argument.

Please, for ease of reading, please separate your writing by sentences and paragraphs.

One 220-ish sentence, with no punctuation, can appear as a rant, rather than a thought-out discussion.

Sincerely,

CTB

ctbeth replied to Bree74's response:
Actually, it is federal law, not the State of New York, that has changed hydrocodone-based medicines to Controlled substance class II.

The DEA pre-Obama mandates that patients who are prescribed schedule II meds much physically be assessed by an MD every ninety days, not every month.

If your MD wishes to see you each month, this is his/ her wish- no governmental entity, neither state not federal, requires more-than every ninety-day visits.

The Holy Grail, in parlance, is determination of which patients are in need of, and properly take, his/ her opiate medicine(s) in hopes of avoiding diversion.

Un-scheduled (random) urine drug screening is one tool by which MDs can assess that the patient is, indeed, properly using the prescribed med, and not diverting it for profit.

Have you had an unpleasant experience getting your prescribed opiate pain meds?

Personally, I have not spoken with any MDs who claim to be afraid of losing their license or getting, "introuble (sic)"

My PMD has said, "I'm not afraid because I've done nothing that would make me afraid."

Good luck with that,

CTB

blessedladyptl replied to ctbeth's response:
Beth, [br>In New York State effective February 23, 2013 hydrocodone containing products like vicodin, lortab, cough meds, ect became Schedule II. This isn't federal, at least not yet.

ctbeth replied to blessedladyptl's response:
Okay. It was voted upon in late Feb by FDA.

I've not paid much attention.
I'll have a peek at the FDA site today.

Thanks for the clarification,

BH

ctbeth replied to ctbeth's response:
http://www.pharmacist.com/hydrocodone-shift-schedule-ii-under-consideration

I stand corrected. The above is date 5 April 13

Personally, I think that it's a good change. It should not effect chronic pain patients much, as most of us see our MD every ninety days, if we're taking any Schedule II meds.

Anything that can help spare but one life, and save but one family the grief and sorrow of losing a family member to drug abuse or mis-use, cam only be a positive move. imho

ctbeth replied to blessedladyptl's response:
Okay, a little further look and I think I see the cause for confusion:

In the U.S., formulations containing more than 15 mg per dosage unit are considered Schedule II drugs, as would any formulation consisting of just hydrocodone alone.

Those containing less than or equal to 15 mg per dosage unit in combination with acetaminophen or another non-controlled drug are called hydrocodone compounds and are considered Schedule III drugs.

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

really determined.
cant wait to get off all my pain meds; the stigma of a DRUGuser is almost as bad as the pain.NO ONE beleives you are really hurting.plus ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 3 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.