Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    RE: Morphine Sulfate and MS Contin - Confused!!!!
    Anon_27116 posted:
    I saw my new pain mgt. dr. today and was prescribed Morphine Sulfate 30mg, TER and Morphine Sulfate 30 mg. Tab and I am absolutely confused as to which one is to be the long lasting one and the one that is to be for breakthrough pain. Does anyone have an answer to my question?
    I just don't understand this. Prior to this change in my meds, I was taking methadone 10 mg. ( 2 pills 4 times a day). In other words I was taking 80 mg. of methadone until this change with the new dr.
    I have another question too. I was prescribed atenolol 25 mg. for headaches and I have never heard of that being used for headaches only for cardiology purposes.
    Could someone help me? I have read the leaflets that came w/ my meds and I still just do not understand.
    rosielou responded:
    Atenolol is definitely used for headaches, it's a beta blocker. I take it and it's worked great for me. Give it a try.

    I don't know enough about the other meds to help with that. My first response would be to call the doc and ask her what she wants you to do.
    ctbeth responded:
    Hi confused.

    If you're confused about ANYTHING regarding your prescriptions, it is urgent that you contact the pharmacy that filled them, or the MD who prescribed them.

    I beseech you to take one-of-these two actions straight away.


    Please heed my words.

    dfromspencer responded:
    I agree with Beth, you must ask your doctor, or pharmacist befor you take one or the other!!!

    Good luck!!!

    77grace responded:
    Hello again,
    Yes I agree too,Get a hold of yur Dr,. or Pharmasist and ask???It's really important that you understand!AS far as the milagram difference ,It's because they all act in different ways! Even though they are all narcotics they are different unless it's in the same family,(like Vicodan,Loratab , Norco,Etc!
    Hope we all helped!
    It's all going to work out!Have Patience!
    Bless you, 77grace

    Featuring Experts

    Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

    Helpful Tips

    Be the first to post a Tip!

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.