Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Is Morphine Stronger than Methadone for Chronic Pain?
Anon_27116 posted:
I am curious as to which medicine is best for chronic pain. I know that morphine is used as well as methadone.
Does anyone know which of the 2 meds are best in controlling pain?
Any info would be very helpful for me. I am going thru a change in meds and just do not know what I should do,
Thanks for your input.

ctbeth responded:
Hello from Connecticut~

There are many pain medicines for chronic pain; morphine and methadone are just two of them.

I think that you're probably wondering about opiate meds: again, there are many from which your MD can choose.

There is really no "best"; what is more effective for me may do nothing to help you. The medicine that helps you is the one that is the best for you.

As far as stronger, it is, of course dose related.
It is worthy of mention that fentanyl is far-stronger than most opiate meds. For this reason it is dispensed by the microgram ,rather by the milligram.

May I ask: does not your MD help you with this decision?

If it is you who must choose your own opiate pain med, well, this would be highly irregular and irresponsible of your MD.

In addition to our personal narratives, you can always search Web MD for info on different actions, adverse actions, and other info regarding any meds on which you'd like more info.

Although reticent to tell my personal meds, I will share that I take a low dose morphine contin- a long-acting
opiate analgesic, twice a day.

I , as many, also have Oxy IR, which is like Percocet without the tylenol, for "breakthrough"pain. I am not taking it right now for reasons that are not significant to this discussion, but my MD has prescribed.

I have, over the years, used Duregesic patches, taken Methadone, Exalgo, and Methadone for pain as Rx'd by my pain management MD. My MD and I favour the morphine for me, as I tolerate the side effects somewhat well.

Best of luck to you.

I do hope that you'll get additional replies and feel confident that your MD, along with your input, will find the right opiate med to help you.

BethH

dfromspencer responded:
I agree with Beth, there are many different opioids out there, that can be used to treat chronic pain. I started with Methadone, once I got up there in dosage, and tollerence, the doctor switched me to Morphine slow release, and continued with the oxycodone for break through.

To be honest, I can't really tell any difference between the two? That's why I think Beth is right. It depends on your tollerence, and the possible side effects. Which one is best for you? That is what you and your doctor must find out through trial and error. Hopefully no error, right?

Good luck to you!!!

Dennis
LIVE LONG-LOVE WELL!!!

77grace responded:
Greetings from California,
Well you have 2 very good opinions and there is really little that I can add except,a Question????What are you taking now and hI guess it's not helping so you need a change?The best way is to try which one the Dr. recomends ,give it a chnce and if it dose'nt work then you can try something else!
I have a very high tolerence and not much has helped me!So after my 1st surgery the pain Dr. out me on Metadone and it worked pretty well,better than I expected!
Good luck,stay in touch,77grace

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

how do you live with chronic pain
how do you live with pain everyday More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 62 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.