Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Rib Pain shooting to Back
Anon_29771 posted:
Hi. Last summer my right rib was hit and I was on my back for days. I finally saw a doctor and got x-rays done but he found no cracks, fractures or contusions on it. It didn't make sense, even at least be bruised. Couple times after, it got hit bumping into something etc, and it was pretty sensitive and had temporary pain. Shortly after the main injury, I found out I was pregnant. Since the baby's gotten bigger, she has been resting/pushing her foot on the rib and it's been pretty painful. Sitting up is the worse and it's also causing pain in the rib in my back area (main pain has been in the front). The pain is causing me to itch the area too since it gives off a stinging pain. I've mentioned it to my OB/GYN. He really didn't have much to say but that I'm going to have to deal with it. It's pretty unbearable unless I recline or lay on my left side. Why it would be this painful with the baby's foot on it if there was nothing found wrong with my rib?? Anyone else have a rib injury that the doctor found nothing wrong but you still had problems with it?
I don't know what I can do for pain management either with limitations of meds, if there really is anything.
Thanks.

ctbeth responded:
Just an opinion: You'll probably have to wait until after the baby is born before you can get an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan.

After the birth, you may feel much improved.

If this is your first full-term pregnancy, you may be surprised that third trimester pregnancy can include aches and pains as the baby grows to full term.

Try to recline or lay down on your right side, that you say is most comfortable for you as much as possible.

Hang in there and best wishes with your new baby.

tlh3934 replied to ctbeth's response:
Thank you for your reply. I actually researched it more and I'm pretty sure it's intercostal neuralgia. Symptoms are exactly what I have, how the pain feels. I told my OB/GYN about it. Pregnancy or injury are two of causes of it, which I was injured at very beginning of the pregnancy.
Right side is actually where I'm having this problem so been trying to lay on left side. That really doesn't help though unfortunately. I have been icing and heating the rib when I can. It's all that really helps temporarily for now. My OB/GYN mentioned once after the baby is born, and if the pain is still there, then I could get injections to relieve the pain. I have two more weeks left. Going to deliver at 39 weeks so we'll see. Thank you for the wishes!

tlh3934 replied to tlh3934's response:
And yes I am the original poster, just was posted as anonymous.

annette030 replied to tlh3934's response:
All "intercostal neuralgia" means is nerve pain between ones ribs. If you put the symptoms in a foreign language it sounds like a diagnosis.

I agree with Beth that you will probably have to wait until after the baby is born to find out exactly what is going on.

Are you having a repeat C-section? Why deliver at 39 weeks? Is the baby excessively large? Why not wait the full 40 weeks? You can last a couple of weeks, you have already made it for so long.

Congratulations!!!!

Take care, Annette

tlh3934 replied to annette030's response:
Yes I'm aware. Again, I did the research and read of what intercostal neuralgia is. Either way, it's pretty painful. And yes, as I stated earlier as well, the doctor stated that if I still have the pain after the baby is born then I could get injections for the pain.

The doctor is not sure if I will have a c-section or not. No, the baby is not large. I've been having high blood pressure the last month and a half, so been labeled pre-hypertension since my labs were coming back normal for any other issues like pre-eclampsia. I've never had a problem with my BP until these last 6 weeks.

And thanks!

annette030 replied to tlh3934's response:
Hopefully, your BP will go down again. Keep an eye on it. Best of luck with the little one.

Take care, Annette

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

I live in Arizona
If you drive in Arizona you can goto jail for DUI for any meds in your system, There are no buses where I live. I guess I will just sit ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 13 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.