Skip to content
acording to my pm doc PROP pettion passed and had to cut me off oxycontin
Bree74 posted:
went to my monthly pain clinic follow up today and was told that i could no longer be prescribed oxycontin because the fda has or is going to change the label for long acting opiets to removing moderate pain and a limit to 90 days for non cancer pain so instead of my 3 20mg oxycontin and 120 10mg oxycodone i got 180 15mg oxycodone 1 every 4 hrs any one else had this happen i would also like to here any opinons please no questions to my post i dont know how to post links i live in ny where they have put heavy restrictions on all controled meds even changed hydro to a sech2 and no refills for benzo and tramadol is now a sech4 my pain doc is very upset as am i he stated that many docs are just cutting pts off all togeather i know of one personily and his office is getting tons of desperite pain pts that have been cut off from there pcp due to I-STOP and PROP and have been told those are the reasons calling but he is full and cant except any new pts

blessedladyptl responded:
The FDA has not removed "moderate pain" from long acting/extended release opioid medications. But the following was released July 9, 2012 and went into effect March 1, 2013.

"FDA introduces new safety measures for extended-release and long-acting opioid medications
Strategy emphasizes education for prescribers, patients on highly potent pain relievers"

"It is expected that the first continuing education activities under the REMS will be offered to prescribers by March 1, 2013.
There is no mandatory requirement that prescribers take the training and no precondition to prescribing ER/LA opioids to patients. However, the Obama Administration endorsed a mandatory training program on responsible opioid prescribing practices in April 2011 as part of its comprehensive plan to address the epidemic of prescription drug abuse. The program, which would be linked to DEA registration by providers, would require legislative changes that are being pursued by the Administration"

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm310870.htm

ctbeth responded:
Hydrocodone's being re-classified from SCH III to SCH II is an FDA action that effects the nation, not just NY state.

I have read I-STOP, although I don't live in NY.

There is no legal reason that I know or have read, that would not allow your pain management MD to prescribe Oxycontin.

No refills usually means that the med cannot be automatically refilled by the patient phoning in the refill number. The MD must write a new Rx each month.

To me, I am willing to abide by any federal or state law that could help save lives due to drug abuse/ mis-use.

Yes, please read I-STOP.

And good luck

blessedladyptl replied to ctbeth's response:
Beth,
In New York State effective February 23, 2013 hydrocodone containing products like vicodin, lortab, cough meds, ect became Schedule II. This isn't federal, at least not yet.

77grace responded:
Hi Bree74,
I know you said no Questions,but that may be diddicult!I'll try if you want!
I feel bad for you if that's what he is putting you through,and I am guessing that you are from New York because others mention the I STOP which I have not heard of,I will look it up!I'm in California!
Anyway,bottom line if that's it then I pray that the extra oxycodone help you!
Take care 77grace

Bree74 replied to 77grace's response:
thank you finely support

ctbeth replied to blessedladyptl's response:
Yes, you are right and I was wrong.

Is there another discussion on this, as I was certain that I apologized and posted the info re: the different classifications of hydro based upon milligram and mixtures.

Pure hydrocodone is federally listed in Schedule II, while the compound version of the drug is listed in Schedule III.

blessedladyptl replied to ctbeth's response:
Not in New York State-Effective 2/23/2013 All Strengths, Formulations and Combinations Products of Hydrocodone are a Schedule II.
http://www.health.ny.gov/professionals/narcotic/laws_and_regulations/part_c-chapter_447-laws_of_2012-faq.htm

ctbeth replied to blessedladyptl's response:
Yes, I have read the NY I-STOP in its entirety.

RE: federal law, hydrocodone in its pure form is schedule II if over 15 mg/dose and the mixed Hydro formulations and combo products are schedule III.

In New York, all hydrocodone is now schedule II.

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

how do you live with chronic pain
how do you live with pain everyday More
Was this Helpful?
42 of 65 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.