Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    8 years of unknown chronic pain
    McCurn03 posted:
    I have been suffering for 8 years with my chronic abdominal pain. The MDs have given me many suggestions of what it could be but nothing (medication, change in diet, chronic pain management) has resolved it. Now I am just basically going through all the same processes over and over again. With no relief and with no hope of relief. I don't wanna take pain meds everyday all day. I have tried the psychological suggestion. Exercise, soft quiet music to relax, and thinking about other things when the pain hit so that the pain decreases. I am tired all the time and I have 2 child (ages 7 & 10). I need some suggestion on what to do next.
    ctbeth responded:
    Hi McCurn03,

    The MDs have given you suggestions of what your pain could be, but have they ordered testing or referred you to a gastroenterologist?

    It looks as if the next step is to get you diagnosed.

    No one wants to take pain meds, or any meds, every day.
    If that's what you had to do to live without this pain, well, you can decide.

    Maybe you'll get a diagnosis and the treatment that you need and you won't have to take meds, right?

    A gastroenterologist is a doctor who specializes in disorders of the stomach (gastro) and intestine (entero), and disorders of the digestion.
    Being a specialist, you may need a referral from your primary care MD. It's specified in your insurance policy.

    Have you seen your gynocologist? That should be on the to-do list, also.

    Please let us know how you're doing.

    McCurn03 replied to ctbeth's response:
    Hi CTBeth

    Thanks for responding because I am at my wits end with all of this. I have seen a GI specialist in the past, it has gotten to the point where the GI says there is nothing they can do for me further and for me to see my PCP. And from there I was on antacids for over a year until finally my PCP had me get off of them because they obviously wasn't working.

    Now I have seen an OBGYN and she keeps telling me that it's not related. But the funny thing is the pain started when I was pregnant with my daughter in 2005. I don't even know where else to tell them to look. I have gotten to the point where I am now taking a dose of pain meds at night only.....just to make sure I can make it thru the day.

    Thanks again for your suggestions......and please keep them coming if you can think of anything else.


    Featuring Experts

    Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

    Helpful Tips

    Be the first to post a Tip!

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.