Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
check this out
Bree74 posted:
WIVB.com how the I-STOP law is affecting people
still dont know how to post a link if someone would like to tell me how i will repoast just google that up there and tell me what ya think

blessedladyptl responded:
I hope this helps you copy and paste the links. It took me forever to figure it out.To copy and paste a link, go to the address bar at the top of your window and do the following-Click the left side of your mouse Click on Edit and go down to Copy, click on Copy, Then go to the page you want to Paste it to and put your mouse where you want to Paste the info, then click the left side of the mouse again (you will not see the info yet) Then go Edit on that same page, click on Edit and go down to Paste and click on Paste. You should see the info you copied on the page then.

I read the report at wivh.com http://www.wivb.com/dpp/news/local/how-the-i-stop-law-is-affecting-people

Unfortunately, things like this are happening all over. And it is hardest on those that are the poorest and the most severely disabled. Personally, I don't believe anything will change until it effects those that so far have been untouched by this... those that can afford the money and time to go to the dr every month are effected. For those that are still able to work, taking off of work every 30 days will get old quick on alot of employers. Also another side to this may well be that those with not good insurance are left without this type of care at all because of the extra time and cost involved.

ctbeth replied to blessedladyptl's response:
I know that I'm the gadfly of the group on this.

I see my PMD every month as it is. It's an hours drive and an inconvenience. Yes, I have the luxury of a driver.

If that is what I must do to get my pain med, so be it.

If my seeing my MD once a month can help save even one life, it's worth it.

Please don't attack me, but I think that MDs physically seeing patients who need Schedule II meds once-a-month is not unreasonable.

blessedladyptl replied to ctbeth's response:
Let me ask you something Beth. Imagine for a minute, if you can, that you do not have a driver or anyone that can take you and you don't have the money to pay someone to drive you there. If you Had to go into to see your Dr face to face every month...how would you get there to get your medicine ?

I just have second- Skype calling my daughter.

I'd have to change to an MD closer to my home and I'd have to get there every month the same way that I get there every three months, as the law mandates now.

We all have to get to MDs, get groceries, get to hospitals for surgery, and get home.

I just don't think seeing the MD for refills is too much for me to do if this will help save lives.

Disability income is tough, but we all have to budget to get what we need.

I am no different.

Must go...daughter getting antsy.

Not that it matters, but I do have to see my MD every month.

I get my MSC from the in-patient pharmacy that is within my MD's practice. A new hard copy is written and computer recorded. My MD or PA physically sees me every month.

To elaborate on the questions posed before my Skype was flashing, if I didn't live with my daughter and have a driver when she's not available, I'd probably have to move near to my MD or near a bus line. I live way out in the hinterlands and am happy that I can, for now, stay in my home.

Disability brings many difficulties. We all have to make sacrifices and set priorities.
Do you really think that my having a paid driver makes me a rock star? I'd rather be able to drive myself, wouldn't you?

When I was initially injured, it took worker's comp thirty (yup- 30) months of legal dog fights before I began receiving any pay. I lived 2 and 1/2 years with ZERO income, and I had four children living at home, and I'm a single mother.

We all know hardship. Living with pain and functional disabilities can be tough. Living on a fixed income is tough. Raising children as a single parent can be tough. Living with paraplegia is tough.

I am not one to complain, but my having a paid driver doesn't mean that I'm rocking the world; it means that I am fortunate to have family and friends who care about me by paying for some of the things that I consider luxuries.

Private drivers are surprisingly inexpensive. I live in a town with a private secondary schoo, two high schools, and there are many colleges in New Haven, which is the city nearest to me. It's easy to get a student willing to drive for not-much $$.

In all of the years since my injury, I've had to do many things that were tough and that I wish that I didn't have to do, but we all set priorities and do what we must.

Regarding your posed situation, how would that hypothetical person with no driver, no money, no family, and no friends get to his/ her every-three month appt? How would he get his medicines and groceries?

If he had no money, how could he/ she afford internet and a computer to even post on a discussion on this internet site?

ctbeth replied to ctbeth's response:
I just looked up Schedule III meds.

BuTrans and subutex are Sch III.

I did not recall seeing that NY State has changed the scheduling from III to sch II.

If one cannot get to an MD to get Rx for hydrocodone, perhaps BuTrans would be an alternative.

I hope that this info may help someone.

ldycountry replied to ctbeth's response:
I have to agree with Beth...We are a low to moderate income with two boys with duchenne muscular dystrophy...I have had to work hard in a hot factory forever....until I injured my back...will not get into detail but I have to go to pain management every month to get my meds just so i am able to work at a retirement home cooking now....people have abused and sold and made it the way it is now so we have to find a way to get the proper care...and as Beth says if that saves 1 life it is worth it....I have to pay quite a bit extra but we have to budget for me to go and have had to budget for my lower paying job....where there is a will there is a way...never went without what we needed maybe what we wanted but never what we needed....thanks and god be with all !!

So blessedladyptl,

Imagine for a minute, if you can, that you do not have a driver, someone who can take you, and you don't have the money to pay someone to drive you there.

If you had to see your MD face-to-face every month, as I do: How would YOU get there to get your medicine?

I would be even more curious as to how one would come to find himself in the position of having no money and no friends.

If this hypothetical person has zero income and zero assets, then he could qualify for state funded welfare to cover his MD visits, prescriptions, and rides to and from his MD appts. If he has assets, then he would have to liquidate these and support himself on the cash value of his assets.

Since I had assets when I had no income, I did not qualify for any assistance welfare programs. I have never received any medical care, money, food, mortgage, or any other assistance from state welfare or federal assistance programs.

However, if one qualifies and has no income, no family, and no friends, then there are, indeed, state and federal programs to help with basic needs.

They do not, far as I know, provide friends.

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

how do you live with chronic pain
how do you live with pain everyday More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 62 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.