Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
support,help
huston49 posted:
my boyfriend is 60 and has diabetes, with normal blood sugar counts at 350-400 and foot pain, also his spinal cord is being pinched by calcium building up around it. He is in constant pain even though he wears 2- 100mcg fentanyl patches and takes oxy 30mg 4 times a day. he doesn't sleep well but is groggy all the time and getting confused a lot. He has been on this high of a dosage for over 10 years and it doesn't seem to work. We need to get him some relief with less meds if possible, any help is welcome

ctbeth responded:
Hi Huston,

Does his MD know that his blood sugar is 350-400?

That really needs to be attended to before anything else.

huston49 replied to ctbeth's response:
yes he does,but just doesn't seem to care.

Momma3831 responded:
My boyfriend had the same issue the doctor called me after finding out and had me rush him to the E.R he was in the hospital he was there for a week and found out he was a type 1 diabetic and came home and was felling better after a month and stopped taking him meds and he had a Heart attack at the age of 28 because he stopped taking his meds this is very important and the sugar count is not good at all look in to Diabetic Neuropathic as a issue he has my boyfriend is having pain and I have been looking in to take for him also high counts gives you more pain I hope this helps you

ctbeth replied to huston49's response:
Hi Huston49,

You're in a very tough place.

If he has consistent blood sugars of 350-400 and just doesn't seem to care, there is really nothing that you can do about it.

A sixty-year old man with consistent morbid hyperglycemia of 350-400 is bound to feel groggy and get confused a lot, in your words.

You can speak with him about the reality of his health status, but if he doesn't want to take care of himself, there is nothing that you can do but take care of yourself.

I wish that you weren't in this awful situation.

huston49 replied to ctbeth's response:
thanks for your support. I know he wans to get better, but his doctor doesn't give him much hope. I am cooking healthy foods, and not keeping snacks or sugars around.

ctbeth replied to huston49's response:
I know that he wants to get better, but is he willing to go what he has to do to get better?

If his blood sugars are 350-400, and he doesn't seem to care, how can he hope to get better?

I'm sure that it is horrible for you, but what can you do if he doesn't care?

If you're cooking appropriate foods for a diabetic and not keeping contraband about, why are his blood sugars so high?

Perhaps his MD really needs to evaluate his diabetes care. with BS that high, I suspect that he's insulin dependent, right?

If he's eating right, taking his insulin properly, and doing all of hte additional things that IDDMs need to do daily, and his blood sugars are still insanely high, he really needs to see his MD ASAP.

And you need a break <3

annette030 replied to huston49's response:
Get a new doctor then.

350-400 is not "normal" for blood sugar. It should be less than 100.

Take care, Annette

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

tramodol
have taken tramadol several times...i have seen no benefits to this med...extremely weak pain med More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.