Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
What can I do when pain management doctor has me sign contract and gives no prescription?
An_251680 posted:
I recently started going to a pain management for all the bone and muscle problems I have. All the mris on cds show all of these and I am on SSI for. I had signed an agreement saying since he will be the one to prescribe me medication and I can not go elsewhere. He said he would give me a script AFTER I came in for the epidural shot. I did this and he said he was no giving me one. He gave no reason and left and was no able to talk to him about it. I could not get up and walk because this was a short term procedure and was laying in a hospital bed coming off twilight sedation. That night I was in more pain then ever before! Now they keep calling me to make another appointment to get another shot!! It did not work the first time so what makes them think I am coming in again! My question is It's obvious he did not give me medication like he said he would and had me sign the paper. But can he do what he did legally? I feel like i was just told something to get me in there so he can get the money from my insurance to give me a shot.How can a dr have you sign this paper then give you nothing????

dfromspencer responded:
That is a very good question! One I have no answer for. I thought that when you sign that contract, that you was given meds??? My meds were already prescribed when I signed it.

Is this being taken care of through an insurance company, or through workmans comp? Either way, I think you have a right to counsel? If I were you, I would find out what my rights are? You may be getting the run around?

Google the doctors name, and find out his qualifications. That would be a good start. Then, I would call my insurance co. and find out what my rights are, or, ask a lawyer.

Any doctor that doesn't respect my wishes, in this case, you already told him it did no good, (the shot) so why would he schedual another? This makes no sense. Do some digging, its your right!!!

Good luck, and keep us informed!!!

Dennis
LIVE LONG-LOVE WELL!!!

ctbeth responded:
Hi from Connecticut,

You did not get meds from this MD, so you have no obligation to continue seeing him/ her.

If the ESI did not help, you do not have to agree to having additional injections.

It sounds as if you need to find a new pain management MD.

As you have bone and muscle problems, I'd think that you have a primary care, or other MD involved in your care.

Couldn't you ask another MD, whom you trust, to recommend/ refer you to a pain management MD? Just tell him/ her what you told us: You do not have to agree to treatment(s) that you don't want.

Legally, first, you have no damages to make any patient/ MD claim.

Second, the med contract is between MD and patient. It is not a legally-binding document; it's really an agreement.

He has done nothing that could or would be considered illegal. An MD may prescribe or not prescribe as he/ she deems appropriate.

I think what the MD did was pretty shady and not nice, but it is neither illegal nor have you any legal standing to sue an MD because he didn't prescribe pain medication.

Really, best to just move forward and find an MD whom you can trust.

Forget about your side of the contract; once you leave his practice, the contract is void.

Let us know what you're thinking, ok?

BethH

77grace responded:
Hi and Welcome!
I am sorry for you that this has happened but like Beth said,I would try to find a new Dr. ,This one obviosly is not for you!
I would'nt waste my time or energy rresearching it when You can spend that time and get into a good pain Dr.soon!!
I wish you Luck and Blessings 77grace

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

how do you live with chronic pain
how do you live with pain everyday More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 62 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.