Skip to content
shoulder and neckpain
An_251696 posted:
I have shoulder and neck pain, to the point I can't sleep at night and I take a muscle relaxer. I can't seem to get get my neck comfortable. The other problem that is really bothering me is I get this tingling and numbness in my left arm. I had a disc out of place and it caused the same problem. My doctor is sending me for steroid shots. When I had the disc problem they gave me Hydrocodone and it really helped. It still took 3 months to heal completely. I have been told I have chronic pain. Is it normal? to have the numbness tingling from my should to the tips of my fingers? I would really appreciate an answer. Thank you. Peggy Gelder

77grace responded:
Hi and Welcome,
I just read your message,actually I saw it yesterday but I'm on it today!!!
Have you had any tests for your neck and head???
It's really i,portant that you do.it's not normal about the tingling and numbness!It may be nothing serious but probally somethign that you should e aware o !!!!
Hang in there ,definaly see a DR. and follow up these tests!!! also have heDACHES AND SOMETIMES TINGLING TOO!
bLESS you,77 grace

annette030 responded:
I believe that any pain that lasts longer than three months is considered chronic pain.

I have the discs of a 90 year old woman in my neck, and have had them since I was in my 40s. I had one surgery to remove one disc, when my hands would not to fine motor movement.

I would not have surgery for pain or a change in sensation, only for functional changes.

The steroid shot I had in my left shoulder by my internist was great, the pain has never come back in that arm. I do have Fibromyalgia, so I assume all pain will last for several months before going away.

When was your last imaging test done? It might be difficult to tell spinal pain from shoulder pain, it might not be good to treat the wrong thing.

Take care, Annette

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

how do you live with chronic pain
how do you live with pain everyday More
Was this Helpful?
42 of 65 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.