Skip to content
Pain drs and how can all patients just be cut off because doc is shutdown. I need to find a new pain management who is real and has kind hearted understanding staff. Severe injury!
DeniedMyMeds posted:
Hi i am new to the site and well I think that it is sad how a dr can be closed down leaving patients to find a new path. What i am saying is that i was severely injured several times in my life. One time i barely survived. These injuries have left me with severe chronic pain issues. Now the hospital has referred me to another hospital for pain management and recommended i continue same pain med treatment. The hospital says they do not treat with medication only injections. Seems no one wants to help someone. Ive been through physical therapy had injections ana all. Ive also seen over 20 drs in the past 11 years since first was injured...(for an answer how to heal or rehab my injuries) at no point asking for med. So i should not be labelled and i am extremely offended as I am a former personal trainer who didnt even want pain meds! Sad huh? Now i am left with no pain meds and what feels like I am forced to be a so called seeker. I will not let these people bring my mind down and i will spend my life trying to share that not all pain patients are a fraud or a druggie. I have a daughter who I am trying to raise and this is horrible as spring is here with daddy having no meds! Anyone relate??? I could really use some support or advice...Thanks all

ctbeth responded:
Did you actually have a consultation with the MD to whom you have been referred?
You did get referred to another hospital, so you should be able to pick your own MD within your insurance's list of providers.

If you have not had injections and an MD may be able to offer you something that may help, why not?

You certainly will not be seen as a drug seeker or MD shopper, as it is your MD who closed his/ her practice.

You have a right to consult with as many MDs as you wish before picking the one that you think will help you best.

I do say that your discussion was a bit hard fro me to follow. When you mentioned "the hospital", I don;t know which you're referring. It sounds as if you saw a private MD, and then got a referral from a hospital to another hospital.

Did your MD refer his patients? Is another MD replacing him?

If you have time and desire, could you explain these tings a bit more clearly?

Thanks, and don't give up!

BethH

tina430 responded:
It is pretty sad. My doctor of 7years just left the office so now I am in the process of finding a new Pain Management Doctor.My old doctor has me on methadone and lortab (I get the methadone from a clinic because she was suppose to leave a few years back and recommended I do that untill I can find another doctor,she said she even tried to call a few doctors for me and she couldnt find me a good one and she was the medical director)anyway because I am on these medicines trying to find a new doctor is a nightmare!!!Its hard enough to find a decent doctor but one who knows about methadone for pain management?? yeah right. after calling about 6 I found a doctor that not only knows about it they actually prescibe it for pain management.The problem is I had an appt on thursday,he seemed nice but he wants me to do p.t.,see a social worker and see him 1 a week for now.On my 1st appt he said that I needed to do apt evu. fri am ,which i did and I will be seeing him again on wed.He said that on my next visit we will talk about my break through pain.he also said that he wants me to eventually transfer to him prescibing my methadone as well. Now . all the reviews I read on him said either that he is great and they have been his patient for like 7-8 yrs OR hes wont give you medicine and they hate him ,blah,blah.blah.One thing they all agreed on the wait is like 2-5 hrs!! but they will give you your medicine if your legit.Which i am. My point in all this..how pathetic is that.This is what we have to go through just to try to live a decent life. I also have a child- a 2 year son . I think that him and his father deserve a mom and wife that can take care of them.Most people have that luxury without medication or pain but we dont.In my present situstion my "best case" sanario is this new doctor (which i will say I did like)writes me a presciption for a another opioid that will help with my break through pain but also gives me constipation,dry mouth,and some other fun side effects. Oh for those of you who think that we actaully get" high"on these- we dont!!! Its called a tolerance.Anyway in the event that I do get my needed medication .I will still have to go there every week for P.t.see a social worker and talk to him ,that should only take um well all day.I will probley have to do this untill I prove that I am not there to sell my medication ,abuse my medication or that I take anything other then that.THen i get to move to every 2 weeks and eventually monthly. Again why would anyone do this for any other reason?? Maybe I can understand because I dont abuse them but still I am sure there are much easier ways to get high. Do any other people have to go through all this when they need to find a new doctor. NO.I do understand the doctors point of view. The good doctors understand what we go through and truely want to help,but because of Narrow-minded ,misinformed well idiots they think that closing a doctors office is "helping the war on drugs". Honestly in my opinion they will probley be the ones who kids are the ones who abuse drugs because they will have past on that "the world revovles around me attitude"to themand instead of teaching them to appreciate life and not to judge ANYTHING untill you have been in that situation, They are too bust blaming others and writing letters to the dea to shut down good doctors.Wow it feeels good to vent.Before,I started researching doctors and reviews of them I had know idea how many other people are in the same situation as me,. Like I said before I was lucky enough to have had an amazing doctor for 7 years and before that I had faced all the same crap as you talked about but, now its even worse.I hope you can find a good doctor. try looking on the internet .I looked up"opioid pain managemnt dc. in balt.md.) just try your area and ask them up front if they do long term p.m. and tell them your on ...(what ever med helps you)if they prescibe pain meds you should be able to tell.

Feardorcha68 replied to tina430's response:
Hi Tina,
I really tried to read every word you wrote, but if you had it separated into paragraphs or just a space here and there, it would be much easier to read.

I guess I just don't get it. Why can't you just call a pain management group and schedule an appointment?

I don't understand about how you get your methadone. Can you still get it that way?

From what you say about the new doctor, it sounds like he's going to help you.

I wouldn't put too much stock in other people's opinions who post on the rate doc sites. Go by your experience. Anyway, I think that most people who rate or review doctors are the ones who have a complaint. I've never rated rated a doctor online, have you? I don't think that most of us who like our doctors go to post a review- it's people who are angry, so best to make your own conclusion.

So good luck with the new doctor. It sounds like he's being thorough with getting to know you, which is a good thing, right? What is causing you all of the pain? Is PT likely to help?

Feardorcha

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

medication
Hi! I hope this finds you feeling better I know finding the right meds are hard. I agree with fentanyl being strong...have they ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.