Skip to content
walgreens and pain meds
nanaberg2013 posted:
I receive pain meds from my Drs who see me once a month I have numerous conditions and have been on meds for a long time, today I went to Walgreens to fill my Dr written rx and they called my Dr and literally harassed them about my RSS then refused to fill them their new policy is to question our drs them say we don't need these meds and not fill them. If you are on pain meds pets and Dr are boycotting Walgreens for this arrogant practice what do u think about this
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Anon_1421 responded:
I think it is ridiculous and discussed this in another post but apparently some choose to believe this isn't happening. Unfortunately it is. Chronic pain patients are being treated like this more and more and I fear it will only get worse. At least your doctor is aware of the situation and hopefully you can find another pharmacy to fill your prescriptions that will treat you decently and not discriminate against you. There are some that are not experiencing this kind of treatment, and they are so lucky! But the problem is if chronic pain patients don't start standing up for themselves (and standing together) in this laws may be put into effect that will affect us all and make it even more difficult for us. And once something becomes law it is a lot harder to overturn.

77grace responded:
Hi nanaberg2013,
That is crazy,it's the 2nd time I've heard something like this and I can garentee I would not go to Walgreens!That's terribel.I hope you can find somwhre to get these filled! I don't understand,why are they saying NO??
Please stay in touch and let us know what's up!
Blessings77grace

77grace replied to Anon_1421's response:
Hi,
So ,what do we do toostand up for ourselves and keep it safe?
This is insane!!!I would not have a clue on how to protect myself!I have Kaiser so so far I'm O.k.!
But with Obama ,you never know!!I hate to bring him into this but I beleive it to be true!
Take care,77grace

lorigibs40734 responded:
I haven't had a problem getting my prescriptions filled but I do not use a chain store anymore. There was a problem a few years ago with Walgreens here shorting people on their pain meds. And it became the "norm" to count them before leaving the store or the drive thru. Now when I pick up a narcotic script, it's initialed twice, as it's been counted twice. I live in Kentucky and have heard that if you change pharmacies, they give you a hard time of it if you get narcotics. I haven't seen this personally, but only heard it.

Anon_1421 replied to 77grace's response:
Hi Grace! I don't know what we can do to stand up for ourselves-I really wish I did! Contacting our representatives in the government just doesn't seem to be helping. I wish someone could figure out a way for the ones that are being treated badly to come together and change things. I looked at the petition that circulated on here for awhile but did not sign it because it did not seem to be organized or well though out in spite of the writer's good intentions. And as another poster pointed out, class action lawsuits only seem to benefit the attorneys which I agree with. So I don't know what can be done-but I fear for the future of chronic pain patients, certainly none of us asked for or wanted this unrelenting pain and all the problems it causes, life is hard enough sometimes! Wanted to say though, you are so sweet, I have noticed that you answer so many posts and try to give encouragement, you are such a kind, good person!!!! Caring people like you are the bright spots in this life, and I am so glad you are here!

meaningfulc1952 responded:
Hi nanaberg2013,
I recently took 2 new different scrips in to Walgreens to see if they had enough of the 2 medications. They said that they did not and maybe they could order one of them towards the end of that week. They were not very helpful either. I have been going to the same Walgreens for many, many years now.

I left the store and came home and called CVS and asked them if they had the 2 medications that I needed to have filled. They said that they did and I brought my 2 new scrips there. One was for morphine and one was for MS Contin. They said they could not fill one of them because it was too soon, but said they would fill it when it would go through on my insurance.
The bottom line is they did fill both of my scrips.

I do not know what is going on with Walgreens lately, but they seem to have some sort of problem in filling opiate prescriptions.

Has anyone else had a similar situation like this happen to them? I am seriously thinking of changing pharmacies now.
This is absolutely ridiculous if you ask me. My new pain mgt. dr. recommends that we get our prescriptions filled at a pharmacy that is just down the way from their office. It is not some big chain type of pharmacy. I think that I might start getting my meds filled there that are from my pain mgt. dr. They did not give me any trouble when I took in the first 2 new prescriptions.

All of this craziness about some pharmacies not willing to help in pre-ordering the medications that I need is getting out of control if you ask me.

Meaningfulc1952

77grace replied to meaningfulc1952's response:
Hi
I have heard the same complaint or simalar about Walgreens.I don't know what there problem is !I really don't think it's a fair pratice and I am temptedd to call them and rd out!
77grace

77grace replied to Anon_1421's response:
Hi anon1421,
Thankm you for the nice words!You know ,I think onw of the reasons I really try to answer alot of people is I know how lonely pain can make one feel !!!I spend a lot of time with it and i;m tried of being with it!I have suffered chronic pain of some sort for over 30 yrs.Thankfully not constant though!!!
Today is not a good one one so I need to make this short so I can go lay down!
God Bless YOu.That's the Key !!!
77grace

meaningfulc1952 replied to 77grace's response:
Hi Grace,
I am so sorry that you are having a bad pain day. I certainly can understand where you are coming from. Pain does isolate many of us that have it. It certainly does isolate me from having fun or doing something social whether it is with my husband or a group of friends.

I do know that after a while of feeling this way I get down and out. It is depressing to me and "we" know how we feel. It is too bad that the other folks that do not have chronic pain can't understand better. It feels as if they do not want to understand. As for them, it is so much easier to just dismiss us and avoid us and they go about their own lives.

I say that one of these day they might be in our shoes and be in chronic to severe pain and feel very frustrated. Then I wonder who will listen to them.

Hope that you feel much better. Take it easy on yourself.

meaningfulc1952

77grace replied to meaningfulc1952's response:
Hi meaningfulc1952,
Thanks for the support!Thanks be to God ,I feel a bit better Today!I really believe that 's all we really have is Today!One day at a time!!I bet all of us with Chronic pain can realate to that !!
The days that I'm at my worst is the ones when I get a headache on top of all the other neck shoulder,and back pain!
I hope you are doing better today too!
Blessings 77grace

Feardorcha68 replied to 77grace's response:
Hi 77grace,
I have been reading the site for a few months and just joined.
I see that you always have nice things to say.
My prescriptions were always filled at Walgreens. I liked the pharmacists and I liked shopping there for other things. They have lots of things that I need and it saved me (painful) trips to the grocery store.
I also have to get my prescriptions at the same pharmacy according to my pain med contract.
A few months ago my doctor started prescribing me Exalgo. Walgreens didn't have it and made no effort to help me get it. I waited days to hear back from them and no on ecalled or texted me.
I called my doctors office and asked if I could change pharmacies. They said that I could but I'd have to come by the office and change the pharmacy on my contract.
I did and went to Rite Aid.

So, I didn't like the way I was treated at Walgreen and went elsewhere.
If they treat us poorly and we take our business elsewhere- Walgreens will lose money and customers.
Isn't that the best way to make ourselves heard by hitting them in the pocketbook?
Feardorcha

Feardorcha68 replied to Anon_1421's response:
We can stop spending a cent at the pharmacies that are not willing to help us.
Then, tell your friends and family why.
Write a letter to the pharmacy headquarters and ask your friends and family to do the same.
If you want, share your letter with your friends who'll agree to also send a letter. If you share your letter it might make it easier for them to do the same, right?
Hit them where it matters- their profits!!
I wrote a letter after my Exalgo problem with a certain large chain drugstore. If anyone wants I can post a copy. If you like it, anyone has my permission to use it.
The drugstore never even apologized to me after I sent the letter.
I go to Rite Aid now and won't buy anything at the store that was rude and not helpful to me.

ctbeth replied to Feardorcha68's response:
Hi Feardorcha- great old Celtic name!

That sounds like a really effective way to express our displeasure.

Welcome to the community.

It sounds as if you have lots of good things to add. I know that you're interested in spinal cord stimulation and I'll address that tomorrow

I'm having a slow go of typing on my iPhone that my daughter gave me for birthday

channah responded:
Here in Jax, Fla., I've heard of people being treated rudely by Walgreens' pharmacists over their pain med prescriptions. It IS TRUE! Boycott them!

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

TylenolExpert
Overdoses from acetaminophen send thousands of people to the emergency room in the U.S. each year according the Centers for Disease Control ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 9 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.