Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Fifths Disease and
meubjac posted:
Does anyone have any experience with Fifths Disease and adults? This is usually a children's disease, but adults can get it. I had two students who got it, and then I was diagnosed with it. It started out with a rash, and now has settled into constant joint pain

Chia123 responded:
Pain all over was so scary I thought I had Rheumatoid Arthritis. For me, the pain lasted at least three weeks and then totally left.

Jane123 responded:
I was just diagnosed two days ago (I think I got it from my 6 year old). I am in total agony. Every joint in my body hurts (including my jaw). I am a runner and am not used to feeling so decrepit. Sleeping is a nightmare. When I lay down my right arm starts to swell and throb. It is awful. Last night I "slept" sitting up in our living room arm chair. This better not last long.

annette030 replied to Jane123's response:
I had it as a child, it was called "Slap Cheek" in those days. All I had was a painless rash, got to stay home from school though.

Many childhood illnesses are far worse when had by adults. I hope you feel better soon.

Take care, Annette

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

TylenolExpert
Overdoses from acetaminophen send thousands of people to the emergency room in the U.S. each year according the Centers for Disease Control ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.