Skip to content
Methadone
chavez9 posted:
I here that people are on Methodone for their pain. Is this safe ? how much can you take ?

annette030 responded:
Talk to your doctor, I am one of the people here who take methadone for chronic pain. There have been some cardiac side effects noted, especially at doses over 60 mg. per day.

Again, talk to your doctor.

Take care, Annette

fannie54 replied to annette030's response:
I take 4 times a day Morphine SO4 30mg.
Wondering why they giving you methadone vs morphine sustained release?

Also (this is a wonderful drug for chronic pain/neuropathy----Gabapentin 100mg 1 3x day
80% of my pain from leg injuries, chronic pain in general, and achyness is down to a level 2 on a 1 to 10 scale.Normally I live at the 6 to 7 pain level without pain meds, these 2 together seem to be the magic.

ctbeth replied to fannie54's response:
Hi Fannie,

There are many medication treatment options for pain.
The decision of what particular opiate, or any other med, for that matter, prescribed is determined individually for each patient as assessed and evaluated by his/ her MD.

Whilst it is great for you that the combo of Morphine long acting and Gabapentin (Neurontin) is working so well for you, this in no way means that your combo is "magic" for everyone. Actually, it is more likely NOT the case.

Sadly, in the chronic pain world, there is no magic.

Best wishes for continued success,

BethH

Roni207 replied to ctbeth's response:
Excellent post Beth! You saved me a lot of writing lol!
There are so many different circumstances that can be the reason why different meds are prescribed for different people.
Just as an example for the question of "why".......I was on morphine extended release for years, but when I had Gastric Bypass surgery, I had to switch to meds that could be crushed. You can't crush any ext. release meds, so I was put on Methadone, because you can crush it, and it although it's not "extended relief" it DOES have a very long half life, much longer than most other pain meds. So it basically acts sort of like a long acting med because it takes longer for your body to clear it. It is an excellent pain med, which actually helps my pain better than the morphine did.
One thing I don't like about it though, is the stigma related to it......most people hear the word "Methadone" and think "heroin addict"! Even supposedly educated healthcare workers! It amazes me how many people don't know that it is a pain med.

Roni

Roni207 replied to Roni207's response:
PS............regarding Gabapentin......I have tried several times to take this med, but just can't. At any dose above a child size dose, it makes me into a zombie, lol! Also, I did manage to take it at very tiny doses over a period of time, but then realized that it was severly increasing my depression, which is one of the common side effects of it. Some people just can't take some meds, everyone's body is different. I wish I could find the magic combo for my pain, the Methadone helps but I know it could be a lot better.

Roni

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

medication
Hi! I hope this finds you feeling better I know finding the right meds are hard. I agree with fentanyl being strong...have they ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.