Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Advice Please!
    An_251997 posted:
    I need some advice. How do I get a new pain management dr after being discharged? I will explain the situation, and am pretty confused myself about why this happened, but mainly I am looking for - what do I do now? I have seen my PM dr for 6yrs - pain due to a bad car accident. I have never had an issue - never failed a drug screen; maybe 4x in 6 yrs I've needed medicine early; have always been completely upfront. Recently the meds I was on were starting to be less effective - I had been on the same prescription - - 10 mg IR oxycodone, 8x / day - for 3 yrs. I wanted to be proactive so that things didnt get really bad (they were still working, just not as long as they had been, needed to take them sooner to keep pain levels under control). Dr agreed that I had probably developed a tolerance and switched me to 4 mg dilaudid, 5x a day. It Really didnt work as well as even the old script had, and at the end of the first weekend I tried taking one dilaudid and one of my left over oxycodones. The combo worked really well - best control I'd had in yrs. I called immediately to tell my doc, he said that he didnt want to prescribe that combo and I needed to pick either the old script or the new one. I was disappointed since the combo worked so well, but said ok - can we schedule am appt to discuss maybe a difft option (since old hadn't been working as well and new really didnt work well at all). I got an appt scheduled for the next week. Then today, 2 days before the appt, his office called to say her decided to discharge me as a patient bc he was "worried I was becoming addicted since I'd take. The medicines together". I am floored and have no idea what to do. I was perfectly willing to stop taking the combo and follow whatever regimine he wanted to try, and I've literally never had any issue. If he's ever been concerned about addiction, he has never ever said a thing before now. And, I swear that this is every bit of the details of what happened. I've left a vm for my primary asking him what I should do and could he see me this week to discuss. But - I'm almost out of meds (would've been due for a refill early next week) and I'm terrified - I will definitely go through bad withdrawal if I don't figure something out, plus of course the pain will come roaring back. I don't know even what to say when calling new clinics - - I'm sure they've "heard it all" and won't trust my story. Please - help me with what steps to take now! PS - I asked - very nicely - if I could just talk to my PM dr, not to change his mind but just to understand. This completely comes out of nowhere unless there was so e concern he had that he hasn't ever shared with me. The nurse - who was sympathetic - said he never calls people back after he discharges them. So, this is all I know - based on my perspective.
    tuloud54 responded:
    I am sorry for your situation.We've all had choices regarding our meds and you may have made the wrong one.You took two meds that you were not prescribed to be taking together.Unlikely,but you could have died,had a bad reaction,stroke.Not trying to be mean but you did not follow the meds as prescribed.We have all searched for more relief but I never considered mixing and matching without my drs help.I get why you did it but that doesn't make it ok.Keep searching through your pcp and be honest that you made a mistake.Another understanding dr will be out there. Maybe you should see if your pcp will help you taper down slowly to avoid withdrawal and give some time to access your pain as it is today. I think dr saw a patern and in this day and age,there is no question when it comes to there license.Good luck and know this has happened to others who now have even better drs.Wish you well. Sorry to seem preachy but I really am trying to help you. Painfully,Tom
    angeleyesbia responded:
    It kind of doesnt make much sense to me either, as a nurse and as a pain sufferer myself. Most pain doctors give a long acting and a short acting pain med, the Oxy would of been your long and the dilaudid would of been your short for break through pain. It was an honest mistake, but one that i am sure many people would have tried also. It doesnt not make sense that you would of been discharged out of the practice like that with out any infractions in the drug contract before that. I do believe however that the doctor must still provide care for 30 days after the discharge to allow you time to find another doctor so you are not hospitalized from the serious with-drawls that are bound to happen from being on those medications for that many years. You might want to get you medical records, there my be a fee for them, and see exactly what the doctor says about you in the file. Worse case scenario is your pcp has to do a new referral to another pain clinic or doctor and it will take a few months, but he/she should be will, since it is for a short time period to write a script for something like lortab or perc, or norco for the pain. I have seen a few doctors get sued and help liable for patients being hospitalized form with-drawls because they were dropped from their doctors care. I hope it doesnt come to that however!!
    I wish you the absolute best of luck and for what it is worth right now, I am praying for you and a solution to all of this for you!!
    lorigibs40734 responded:
    Your primary care doctor should be able to refer you to someone else. Get your medical records, it shouldn't cost anything for the first copy, (or it's that way here in Ky, not sure about other states).

    Maybe your reg doctor could help you with your meds, probably not in that same combo, until you get another pm specialist.
    77grace responded:
    Hi , I am sorry to hear what you are going through,I jhave been there and done that!Maybe not the exact same thing but I hav ebeeen fired and it is not good!
    I think you should definatly find a Dr. that will help you to stay on what you hae a wean you down,anything is better than cold turkey stopping and I doubt that your Dr,.after 6 yrs. would expect that of you!!It's a hard lesson to learn but we have to ask our Dr. first before we try adding somthing of .....,I know I';ve been therer!
    Let us know, 77grace

    Featuring Experts

    Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

    Helpful Tips

    Be the first to post a Tip!

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.