Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Finding a Job
    Sedated posted:
    Does anyone have suggestions about how to approach potential employers in regards to your pain As an architect responsible for the life and safety of people should a building I worked on fail. The pain causes me to miss work frequently (3-4 days every 3-4 weeks) and the meds cause drowsiness.
    davedsel responded:

    You do not say how old you are, but I am presuming you are not old enough to retire yet. Have you discussed your ability to work with your doctor? Do you have documented restrictions from your doctor or other health care professional that you would need to disclose to any potential employer?

    If you are hired, your manager is going to quickly point out your number of absences. If you work for a large company, you may be able to apply for Family Medical Leave to protect your job. Your doctor would need to complete a form that is submitted to the human resources department for approval.

    I guess I am wondering if you have discussed Social Security Disability with your doctor. If your pain is that bad, I am not sure you can nor should be working.

    I have high levels of chronic pain from multiple serious spinal issues. I worked in Information Technology for 30 years. Five years ago, at age 51, my doctors all agreed that I needed to stop working. I contracted an attorney (the only way to go) and applied for SSD. I was approved in two months.

    Bottom line: discuss all this with your doctor and any other medical professionals that care for you and get their opinions on your ability to work.

    I pray all this works out for you.
    Anon_57995 responded:
    Do understand that if you take a long-acting opiate daily, the drowsiness should pass after a few weeks to months.

    Of course better to discuss your situation with your employer if you do not feel secure about any project on which you're working.
    _swank_ responded:
    My employer knows nothing about my pain or the medication I take. It is none of their business. Any drowsiness or side effects I had at the beginning are long gone. I don't worry about my meds effecting my performance and I rarely miss work, even if I'm in pain.

    That being said. No employer is going to keep someone that misses work 3-4 days a month. If you seriously think a building you design is going to collapse then you should probably do something else.

    Featuring Experts

    Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

    Helpful Tips

    Judging people with or without chronic pain
    I try not to judge people by anything they do if they aren't hurting themselves or someone else. Unfortunately, I know that I've been judge ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 8 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.