Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Finding a Job
Sedated posted:
Does anyone have suggestions about how to approach potential employers in regards to your pain As an architect responsible for the life and safety of people should a building I worked on fail. The pain causes me to miss work frequently (3-4 days every 3-4 weeks) and the meds cause drowsiness.

davedsel responded:
Hello.

You do not say how old you are, but I am presuming you are not old enough to retire yet. Have you discussed your ability to work with your doctor? Do you have documented restrictions from your doctor or other health care professional that you would need to disclose to any potential employer?

If you are hired, your manager is going to quickly point out your number of absences. If you work for a large company, you may be able to apply for Family Medical Leave to protect your job. Your doctor would need to complete a form that is submitted to the human resources department for approval.

I guess I am wondering if you have discussed Social Security Disability with your doctor. If your pain is that bad, I am not sure you can nor should be working.

I have high levels of chronic pain from multiple serious spinal issues. I worked in Information Technology for 30 years. Five years ago, at age 51, my doctors all agreed that I needed to stop working. I contracted an attorney (the only way to go) and applied for SSD. I was approved in two months.

Bottom line: discuss all this with your doctor and any other medical professionals that care for you and get their opinions on your ability to work.

I pray all this works out for you.

Anon_57995 responded:
Do understand that if you take a long-acting opiate daily, the drowsiness should pass after a few weeks to months.

Of course better to discuss your situation with your employer if you do not feel secure about any project on which you're working.

_swank_ responded:
My employer knows nothing about my pain or the medication I take. It is none of their business. Any drowsiness or side effects I had at the beginning are long gone. I don't worry about my meds effecting my performance and I rarely miss work, even if I'm in pain.

That being said. No employer is going to keep someone that misses work 3-4 days a month. If you seriously think a building you design is going to collapse then you should probably do something else.

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

Every Chronic Pain Patient Needs to READ THIS!!!
There is a group of thirty seven Doctors, Companies. and Researchers that are petitioning the FDA to change the labels on Opiates so that ... More
Was this Helpful?
43 of 48 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.