Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Nerve pain /pintched nerve or ? ?
    An_252030 posted:
    Hi guys,
    I suffered a stroke 2007 and fell on my left leg on my way to the rest room and i have since recovered except for the pain on my left shoulder and left leg the side of my body that was weakened by the stroke a neoro surgeon and pain specialist in the state of Georgia-USA both performed some kind of procedure while i was asleep but got only a temporal relief.This is 2013 and i am still in severe pain what could be happening to me and what do i need to do to get rid of the pain.I have been on neurontin and now lyrica.Thank you.
    lorigibs40734 responded:
    I'm so sorry you're going through this. I'm not very good at giving advice but I'll attempt something here..

    Have you had anymore testing done to see if they could pinpoint the problem? A neurologist could preform an EMG to see if there is any nerves pinched. They could possibly do an MRI to see if anything abnormal shows up on that.

    Also, have you tried physical therapy? Warm compresses (I use a tube sock filled with white rice. microwave for about 1 minute. You can wrap it around your neck, shoulder, elbow, lay it across your hip) or try ice packs?

    I know it's very frustrating to not get help when you're in such terrible pain, and I feel for you, sincerely.

    Call your pcp and make an appointment. If you can, think of specific questions to ask, write them down in a notebook and take it with you. I was once advised to keep a pain diary, so you might try that as well.

    I wish you the BEST of luck!!
    77grace replied to lorigibs40734's response:
    Hi lorigibs40734,
    I saw that you said you use a tube and fill it with white rice????I have used something very similar from the store but can't find the right ones right now!What is the tube made out of ??Do you make it???I would really like to have one!I am using something simular but not as ggod!
    Thanks,hope you feel better soon too,!
    lorigibs40734 replied to 77grace's response:
    Hi Grace, yes I use a tube sock, men's size, white, it went to my guys knee which he hates LOL! You can use any regular men's sock. make sure you either tie the opening very well or sew it together. I didn't sew mine together, just had him tie it for me. You change the rice, any kind of white rice, every three to 6 months depending on how often you use it.

    my girls made fun of me the first time I made one but now they use it too! LOL
    dfromspencer responded:
    Sorry you are going thru this! You may have more than nerve damage? You may have bruised some bones, internally, and the doctors can't "see" it, so don't give you anything for that pain? Ask your P.C.P. if you could try a little pain killer along with the Lyrica, an see if that doesn't help? If it doesn't, make sure you tell your doctor, maybe they could try something else???

    I wish you well!!!


    Featuring Experts

    Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

    Helpful Tips

    Be the first to post a Tip!

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.