Skip to content
pain meds seem to have stopped working
Anon_81506 posted:
I've been on Oxycontin 20 mg with norco for breakthrough pain for 18 months-i believe my body has become tolerant to the meds . Should i ask my pain Dr. for a stronger dose or simply tell him what is going on and just take his advice ?
I am diagnosed with failed total reverse shoulder surgery , osteoarthritis, rheumatoid A, spinal stenosis and need both knees replaced .
lorigibs40734 responded:
Hi. I would talk to your doctor about it, tell him that you don't get the same relief that you use to with your medications. See what he says. He may up the dosage, or milligrams or whatever.

Hope this helps and best of luck to you!

77grace responded:
Hi ,
I can relate to what your going through!Recently I needed to up my Methadone!But the Dr. recomene it,I just told her that I was still in alot of pain and had been on the same amount for about 6 years!That's alot longer than you but alos a much stronger dose!Just thought I'd tell you that so you did not think weird of me ?Anyway MOst Dr.s are really up on all that and understand that our tolerence changes!
Good luck.77grace
annette030 responded:
I would just tell him what kind of symptoms you are having, and that the pain meds do not seem to do the job any more. Then follow his cue as to what to do.

What else are you doing to control the pain besides meds?

Take care, Annette

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

I have been on the same pain medication with no change and all of the sudden I can't stay awake and am losing weight. Has anyone else had ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 13 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.