Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Hi!!!!!
coyote50 posted:
I have't written lately thought I get everybody up to speed. I'm still in pain and still trying to find different ways to cope with my pain. I will be seeing another doc in about two weeks to see if he may have any other ideas on what to do with coping with my pain. It seems that lately it has gotten worse moving upwards towards the middle of my back and its hurting more on my left side of my body going towards the leg and down. I did have a mass that was taken off during my surgery and I know I have nerve damage but it seems to be getting worse and its getting harder and harder to walk any distance. I am trying to walk in the morning with my husband because I feel if I move I won't be so stiff. I don't think its working. It kind of scares me cause I am still working at a desk job but I get stiff if I sit to long and it's hard for me to walk around after I have been sitting. Again when I walk its hard for me since my legs feel like lead weights. I dont't want to feel sorry for myself but I am so scare for my future. Will this all get worse the older I get? I tried asking my docs about this but they seem to just ignore the question. I am in my middle 50's, I dont look it people say but I feel it. I notice I am beginning to bend over like a old lady when I walk. Anyway I hope everybody else is doing good and starting to enjoy the beginning of summer. Thanks again for letting met vent. Blessings to all!!!!!

dfromspencer responded:
Hiya Kim,

I would say "how ya doin?, but you made that pretty clear, and I am soooo sorry!!! I wish I could help, but I don't know how I could? Wishing isn't much help, is it?

You know you can come vent here any ol time you like!!! If it at least gets it off your chest for a minute, you should do it all day long! LOL!!!

You do stretch your muscles all the time, don't you? I think in one of your earlier posts, you said you did? That is a biggie, especially if you work out, or sit for long periods of time. Stretch, stretch, stretch, that's my motto!

I hope you are enjoying the start of summer, I am! I have been out walking every sunny day, and sometimes the rainy days. I just have to dodge those pesky rain drops, that in itself, is a work out. Hahahaha!

I hope you can stay as pain free as possible this summer, so you can get out and enjoy it!!! Take care!

Dennis
LIVE LONG-LOVE WELL!!!

coyote50 replied to dfromspencer's response:
Hi back!!!
Yes I stretch, I do yoga at least 5 days a week which I love. Everybody should try it at least once. I'm also walking early in the morning. I'm aways trying to read about different ways to cope and try to find any new ideas to live life to the fullest!!!
Thanks for the all the help it makes me feel so much better.
See you soon,.
Kim

lorigibs40734 replied to coyote50's response:
Hi Kim,

I'm sorry your pain is getting worse. I use to work in data entry and had to sit in a crappy chair for anywhere from 8 hours to 12 hours a day. I had to get up and move around more than usual because of the pinched nerve in my elbow and the carpal tunnel, and the back problems. They weren't too happy about it, but it was either that, or my doctor putting me off work. I did my stretching exercises every hour at work. Then it got to be too much and I just couldn't do it anymore. I worked two years longer than my doctor wanted me to but I kept telling myself "I'm too young for this bs. Have a family to support" etc etc, and kept pushing on until I couldn't.
Please don't push yourself over your limit.

You mentioned yoga and I was wondering about that. I tried the DVD yoga for dummies but can't do a lot of what they have on there because of my back. Is there another DVD, book, youtube video, that you would recommend? I do a lot of stretches daily, three or four times a day, but I couldn't keep up with even the "dummies" dvd. I thought about taking a class for beginners but just can't afford it right now.

Hope everyone's pain is less today!

coyote50 replied to lorigibs40734's response:
I would recomend yoga for everybody. If you look around there are some studios that charge very little or have you try to look at the ymca or some schools? You can also try some dvd's even the library carry some that you can try for free or even look on the web like yogajornal.com or just try looking up yoga. There are many different types of yoga just try them to one fits you. I tried on the advise of my doctor and I am know hooked on doing yoga. It's not a cure but for me it helps to reduce the pain alittle. Just look for one that is for beginners or just google one for beginners and you should get lots of ideas. I hope that helps you like I said it's not a cure all but it might just help alittle. You don't have to do the whole dvd just try as much as you can and every day you can do a little bit more. Doing yoga is a practice and a life time practice. Just do what you can do and be proud of yourself for doing that. I don't feel sorry for myself I do what I can and keep trying to find other things that might help. I am going to see a new doctor on Monday to see if maybe he has some more ideas for me.I feel the same way I'm just to young to stop working (i.m 57) but I don't feel old execept for the pain but I try to do the most that I can. Well lets see what happens on Monday and I hope everybody is doing as best as possible. Talk to you soon!!!!

annette030 replied to lorigibs40734's response:
I don't do a lot of yoga, but have been bellydancing at home for a bit over 4 years. There is some yoga in the warmups. Find whatever you really like that involves movement and go to it.

I use DVDs and on line stuff that I find on UTube. Little or no cost. Try going online and searching for stuff to do.

I have incidentally lost nearly 75 pounds, without altering or denying myself food. Just increasing my exercise by about an hour a day. What a boost that has been.

Take care, Annette

annette030 replied to coyote50's response:
My PM doctor told me years ago that even 30 min. of walking a day, most days, was enough to make a difference.

He was even into splitting it up three or four times a day. He suggested starting at a couple of minutes a day, and very slowly increasing it by a couple of more minutes once a week. Anyone who is not bedridden can do that much.

A physical therapist I knew told me she told patients of hers to walk to the bathroom and back twice, instead of once, each time they need to use it to get started on an exercise plan.

Start slow and increase even slower. Don't beat yourself up if you cannot do a lot at first.

Take care, Annette

lorigibs40734 responded:
Thanks Kim and Annette, and congratulations Annette on your weight loss!!

I will definitely look for more things to do. I'm miserable and I'm sick and tired of it!

Kim, I hope your doctor visit goes/went well!!

Lori

Anon_2912 responded:
No one can give you the answer to your future, not even yourself. Live one day at a time.

You can't let yourself worry about what may or may not happen...

Wishing2 responded:
Hi!

I have been reading your post this evening. I have been
dealing with back pain for over a year now. My Doctor says I
have chronic arthritis with compression, what ever that means.
Anyway I have a desk job as well and I know what you mean
when you say that your legs feel like led weights. I know I
sit too long, I try to get up and move, but forget
that I need to at times. Then I regret it. I am getting some
help from a chiropractor but sure wish I had other ideas for
the pain. Hate taking all the medication I take. Not heavy
duty meds, just motrin and sometimes flexaril for back spasms
at times. I don't like taking so much of it. I can sure relate to your situation. Thanks for
sharing your journey. I am also worried about my future
and where this might be taking me. I am the same age.

I have an apt next month with my doc. We will see what they
want. I think they are thinking about PT. I don't know if
that will help, but we will see. I will keep checking with you
to see how you are doing. I pray we will both be improving
soon.

Thanks for letting me share
Blessings to you

annette030 replied to Wishing2's response:
As a fellow pain sufferer who had to alter her activities, may I suggest you set a small timer (perhaps on your phone, watch, etc.) for whatever your time is for sitting still, then get up and move about a bit. For me it used to be every 30 minutes, now it is every 60 minutes. Make yourself do it, I paid for it when I didn't follow instructions.

Ask the PT person to teach you things you can do at home on your own. I personally found PT to be a total lack of help, but I am fairly well educated in body stuff anyway. They might be very useful for you, I don't know, see how it goes.

Start stretching, talk to your doctor or the PT about an exercise program, even just walking. Do something you really enjoy.

Take care, Annette

coyote50 replied to annette030's response:
Hi!!!!
I went to the new doctor just to be told sorry nothing we can do. You can try shots or some kind of pain pump that they put inside you to try and take care of the pain. I thought no that's not what I want to do. I decided to try to take a different path. Im changing my diet to a more vegies and fruits. I started taking my walks again, it hurts but I rather do that then have shots. I'm still doing my yoga and going further do that. I have even surprised myself in how I am more flexible then I have ever been. I am hoping that this will help me in the long run since it also helps with my posture and stuff. I am also asking one of my yoga teachers which also knows nutricition (sorry about my spelling) which foods to eat and not eat for arthiritus, etc. I am also again on the internet looking for any ideas that may help the situation plus reading everybodies elses stories. They are so wonderful and inspiring to me blessings to all of you. Just like my fellow writers its a journey we are all taking and writing about what has work and what hasnt' work that might work for someone else. We give each other ideas and hope for a better life even if it's just a little bit better. I'll will keep on looking and telling you my journey it hopes something might help you. Until later blessings to all Kim

davedsel replied to coyote50's response:
Hello, Kim.

I have replied to some of your previous posts. Just took a break for a few months from WebMD but am getting back into some communities.

If you read my story by clicking on my user name or avatar picture, you can see the chronic pain I have managed for over 35 years. I have gone through all the doctor visits and many tests long ago and have accepted my condition(s) and resulting disability. I think the serenity prayer (accept, change, wisdom, etc...) especially applies to those of us with chronic pain and other health conditions.

I continue doing research looking for any new treatments that may help. Mostly, I continue to be as active as possible and keep a positive attitude. These three things (research, activity and attitude) have helped me most in my journey.
Blessings,

-Dave

annette030 replied to coyote50's response:
Great news, Kim. When possible, I always vote for non-invasive treatments. We can all do better, nutrition-wise, and yoga can help most folks.

Take care, Annette

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

Severe Chronic Pain Lowers Life Expectancy
Previous research has demonstrated a clearly negative influence of chronic pain on health. Now, a new study portrays a profound link ... More
Was this Helpful?
167 of 199 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.