Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

  • Second Opinion

    Second Opinion

    Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

  • Community


    Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Sign Up


All communities will be placed in read-only mode (you will be able to see and search for posts but not start or reply to discussions) as we conduct maintenance. We will make another announcement when posting is re-opened. Thank you for your continued support and patience, and if you have any further questions, please email

Yours in health,
WebMD Community Management

No End in Sight
BETHMGB456 posted:
Dr. Maine, I am a 54-year old woman who has history of childhood dermatomyosits which caused me to take high dose, up to 60mg prendisone, along with 16 aspirin a day for 8 years. It helped with the painful, delibiltating flareups. However, I reaping the horrific consequences with AVN and osteroarthritis in major joints. Hip replacement in 1979, revision hip surgery 2000 and another in 2006. Shoulder replacement in 2011. In need of two knee replacements, djd in cervical spine and lower spine along with degenerative back facet arthritis. Aseptic necrosis in non-operated hip. I am unable to take NSAIDs due to them causing severe stomach pain. I take the maximum dose of Tylenol, which does not help much. My familly doctor of 25 years has been understanding in prescribing Norco, 7.5, 325 when needed, not on a routine basis. However, in the past year, the pain is constant and is causing great disability. My orthopedic surgeon recommended a physiolgist...Could you please offer me some guidance and hope as I am first afraid of so many major operations for joint replacements and afraid I am heading for a very restricted life soon. Thank you.
77grace responded:
Hi There and welcome to our site!
It sounds like youy have ben living with somesort of discomfort for some time!I'm not really sure what your asking for ??I guess just some input on living woith on going situation!I also have a chronic problem tha tis not going to get bettet,so I try to help others to!
Best of luck to you and God Speed !
annette030 responded:
Taking all that prednisone and aspirin for all those years may have saved your life, now I am afraid you are paying the piper.

I have not found tylenol to be very useful myself. It may be time to change meds to a long acting opioid and a short acting one for BT pain. The Norco is often used as a BT med, to only be used as needed.

You should see the person your orthopedic surgeon wants you to see, he may have other options for you to try. Either in conjunction with pain meds or without them. Try whatever he suggests honestly and open mindedly.

My husband used chemotherapy that included prednisone many years ago, he only has had one hip replaced due to AVN. He blames it on a fall he took off of a big truck he was working on. I just thank goodness no other bones/joints seem to be affected.

Take care, Annette
BETHMGB456 replied to annette030's response:
Thank you Grace and Annette 030 for your responses. It really helps to know that I am not alone.

The orthopedist who suggested a physiologist practices at the Hospital for Special Surgery (HSS) in NYC. I am from upstate New York. The reason that I went to HSS was two-fold. Because I needed a third hip replacement in the same hip and also a shoulder replacement, (which is not as common, although quickly becoming so) I wanted to go where the treatment was up to date and had read that the hospital had one of the lowest rates of infection. I would go to the doctor that he suggested in NYC, however, he is out of network and a visit would require a 6 hour drive both ways. I can't seem to find a "psyhiologist" listed in my area, only sports medicine doctors.

Has anyone out there been treated by physiologist? If so, are they different that sports medicine doctors?

Thank you.
annette030 replied to BETHMGB456's response:
I would suggest you call the orthopedist's office and have your "in network" insurance info in front of you and ask him what he would like you to do? Ask him what other names a physiologist might go by?

Insurance is so complicated these days.

Shoulder replacements are much more complicated than hips are. Have you had it yet?

Take care, Annette
BETHMGB456 replied to annette030's response:
Yes, Annette, I had it two years ago, and it was a much more complicated recovery. thanks for the good info for calling.
annette030 replied to BETHMGB456's response:
Best of luck, let us know how you do.

Take care, Annette

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

Get honest with your Doctor
P Pain clinics think of you as a way to make a living. Find a doctor who is willing to help you or send you to someone who will. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.