Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
pm dr &proper prodical after 2nd mri
An_252283 posted:
I have been with same pm dr for a few years, he ordered another mri.
I never saw the first mri or report, the dr didn't explain, but quickly started injections into my neck, which have hurt more than help What I really need to find out is the proper prodical after dr does an mri. is this, isn't the dr suppose to write a report?, and go over your mri with you and discuss further treatment?
I keep getting the feeling its all about money and billing, charging medicare $450.00 for injections & no telling about how much mri would be. when I refused injections in neck, he started injecting my back, which really doesn't hurt. I just need to know if anyone out there can tell me about my right to my records, and ask if anyone can tell me if there dr does an mri, do you see and discuss, along with a report or take his word that he looked at it over the weekend, and just take his word for it concerned patient HELP PLEASE

Take the Poll

does anyone feel like their pm dr only cares about money, and getting you in and out, and wanting to do injections that do not help
  • yes
  • no
vote
View Poll Results

annette030 responded:
I would not see a doctor who only cared about the $$ and getting me in and out.

Why did you let him do injections in your back if you did not have pain there?

If he did the MRI only for a road map, or visual aid, to see where he was going to put the injections, that is one thing, if he was deciding treatment that is another thing entirely. Of course, he should discuss that with you, along with the MRI results. A radiologist reads the films first, they are very conservative. I would trust my doctor to take a look at them and discuss them with me. Did you ask him about the initial MRI when it was first done? Maybe he thinks you are not a person who prefers to discuss things at all, but rather prefers the doctor to make the appropriate choice for you.

Talk to the doctor about all of this, then if you wish to get your records, do so by simply asking for them in writing, it is best to include your birthday as verification of your identity. The government says you have the right to them, and the doctor's office may only collect a copying fee for making a copy for you. All of that is in the HIPPA rules that you are given when you start seeing any doctor.

Talk to him first.

Take care, Annette

_swank_ responded:
Generally, your doctor is not the one that reads the MRI first and writes a report. Places that do MRIs have a radiologist. They are the experts at reading the the images and they write a report that gets sent to the doctor. You can, and should get a copy of the MRI on a DVD and also get the report from the place that did the MRI.

My doctor will always tell me to get a copy of the MRI and bring it to my follow-up appointment so he can look at it also.

It is up to you to make sure all these things are discussed before you allow someone to stick a needle into your spine. You have the right to refuse treatment. If you don't understand it then don't do it!

annette030 replied to annette030's response:
Sorry, I meant HIPAA.

Take care, Annette

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

Every Chronic Pain Patient Needs to READ THIS!!!
There is a group of thirty seven Doctors, Companies. and Researchers that are petitioning the FDA to change the labels on Opiates so that ... More
Was this Helpful?
44 of 49 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.