Skip to content
Young guy here with chronic pain needing help!!
mf1229 posted:
Hello! I am Marcus. I thought I would try this to get some help. I have had pain since I was 16 and I am now 25. My pain is only in my back and neck. I do not have pain in my arms or legs. My pain started with my back at 16. I was never in an accident or traumatic experience and nothing over the counter has worked. I went to a chiropractor for 20 visits and that did little to ease my pain. At 18 I went an saw an orthopedic surgeon who did an MRI and X-ray. He was not able to find anything wrong so he had me try physical therapy, which did not help. I saw two more orthopedic surgeons during the next two years, as my pain was getting worse. The last orthopedic surgeon recommended me go see a pain management doctor. My first pain doctor I saw visited with me for 5 minutes, suggested I get a steroid injection, and took a urine test. I went back and got a steroid injection, which didn't help. The doctor didn't explain what he was doing with my urine, so when I found out his office had charged my insurance for 800.00 I never went back. This seems to be common in the pain management field. When I was 21 I went to see my primary care physician who again recommended I see a pain doctor but gave me a prescription for gabapentin, tramadol, and a tizanidine. These medications reduced my pain. I went to see my new pain doctor, which recommended I get more x-rays, steroid injection, and an MRI. Again my pain doctor couldn't find the cause of my pain and the injection didn't provide any relief. My pain was getting worse and the meds were helping. My doctor also recommending trying aquatic physical therapy but again that didn't help. I also tried a back brace and a tens unit with no relief. After a year of taking gabapentin I requested to be taken off due to being depressed. I was started on amitriptyline and baclofen (which replaced the tizanidine). The amitriptyline actually worked very well and I stopped taking the tramadol and the baclofen. I also was no longer depressed. After 6 months of taking amitriptyline it slowly stopped working. I had to get back onto the tramadol and baclofen. The amitriptyline also helped me gain 50 pounds. I am still taking the amitriptyline because once I take it I get relief for about 2 hours. At 22 my neck started hurting and has progressively gotten worse over the last 4 years. My doctor had me try Cymbalta along with the amitriptyline, tramadol, and baclofen. The Cymbalta didn't provide any additional relief like the amitriptyline did. My doctor also had me try lidocaine cream, lidocaine patches, and Voltaren gel. The Voltaren gel and lidocaine cream did not provide any relief. The patches did provide some relief but they wouldn't stay on and were pretty much useless. As my pain was getting worse, depression was getting worse, and the Cymbalta not working, my doctor had me try Lyrica. Again this did not provide any relief. As my pain continued getting worse, especially the neck pain, my doctor said the only route left is trying narcotics. For about a year I continued taking tramadol, baclofen, and amitriptyline. 4 months ago I went back to the pain doctor to discuss taking narcotics since the meds not working as well as they used to. He said I should get a 2nd opinion before starting narcotics. I went for my 2nd opinion and the doctor wasn't able to suggest to anything else. Since my 2nd opinion didn't help my doctor prescribed me hydrocodone to use in addition with my regular meds.. I have not taken any of the hydrocodone, as I fear the consequences of taking narcotics. I also started using Voltaren on my neck which provides a little bit of relief I am 26 now with severe chronic back and neck pain and no idea as to what is causing my pain. I have severe depression and worried about my future. Simple tasks like vacuuming or lifting a case of water is really painful. I am hoping someone on this site could offer some advice, tips, or anything that would be beneficial.

Currently I take 3-50mg tramadol three times a day. Amitriptyline is 300mg at night, and Baclofen 20mg 3 times a day. I also work full time doing medical billing. My pain most of the time is between 9 and 10 as 10 being the worst. When taking my meds I usually get some relief. My level of pain after taking meds is anywhere between 1-5.

77grace responded:
HI Marcus,
I remember you from a little while ago !You seem to be stuck in the same problem as last time you posted!
If you are really at a pain level of a 9 or 10 I would definatly take the narcotic the Dr. prescribed for you! I understand your concern about it causeing problems but I think it's time to let your Dr. decide and help you! otherwise you wouldn't be asking the same thing again!Just take it as prescribed and know that you are taking for a real reason(Pain) Do you have a reason why you don't want to take it?
77grace

annette030 responded:
If two unrelated doctors suggested you try hydrocodone, why aren't you using it? Trust me they have a lot of education between them and would never write someting down and put their names to it, if they did not believe it would be useful.

Tramadol is said to be used only 400 mg. per day maximum, and you are already over that limit by 50 mg.

If your current meds get you down to 1-5 on the 0-10 pain scale. switching out the tramadol for hydrocodone should make you very comfortable.

Take care, Annette

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

Sleepy
I have been on the same pain medication with no change and all of the sudden I can't stay awake and am losing weight. Has anyone else had ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.