Skip to content
Post epididymectomy pain
mrkent75 posted:
25 years ago I had a vasectomy. About 16 years ago, I started having scrotal/testicular pain on the right side. A urologist said I had epididymitis, and put me on antibiotics. When the pain continued he suggested a cord block to find out if the pain was truly in the epididymis, or being referred from somewhere else. Since the cord block temporarily stopped the pain, he finally recommended having an epididymectomy done. After recovery from that surgery, the pain continued, and I was told that I was among the unfortunate 5% who continued to have pain after the surgery.

Since the pain was mild, I just lived with it, using OTC pain relievers and wearing a scrotal suspensory as needed. In the last few months however the pain has dramatically increased. I did a self examination and discovered that my right testicle has atrophied. It is much smaller than it used to be.

I went back to the same urology clinic, and was told (after a very brief exam) that the only option is to remove the right testicle to stop the pain. I am not too worried about having it removed, since my left testicle is fine, and I have never had any problem with it. I am just not convinced that I will have relief from the pain. What if I am "among the unfortunate 5% who continued to have pain after the surgery?"

I am planning to make an appointment with a different urologist, at a different clinic, for another opinion.

Any suggestions on what I should do would be appreciated!

davedsel responded:
Hello.

Being that your problem is specifically male oriented, you may also want to post this in the WebMD Men's Health Community here: http://exchanges.webmd.com/mens-health-community

Continue to do your research and get several professional opinions before deciding on surgery or any type of treatment.

I pray you can get answers and relief soon.
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

mrkent75 replied to davedsel's response:
Thanks Dave, I'll do that.

annette030 responded:
Follow through on your plans for a second opinion, one should always get one before having elective surgery. That way you also can choose surgeons, having met them both. Ask them for infection rates, etc. to help you decide.

Take care, Annette

mrkent75 replied to annette030's response:
I have made an appointment with another urologist. I will definitely be seeking more information in making this decision.
Thanks,
Kent

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

how do you live with chronic pain
how do you live with pain everyday More
Was this Helpful?
42 of 65 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.