Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Shoulder Impingement syndrome
cwat51 posted:
I just found out that I have SIS. I have started ice treatment and aleve. When can I start exercise, and where do I go do find them
Usually how long does this take to heal, Do I start exercise after it has healed? I am on a low income budget and can't afford to go to the Dr.
I appreciate you help
Catherine

davedsel responded:
Hello.

Here is a link to information about Shoulder Impingement Syndrome on WebMD: http://www.webmd.com/osteoarthritis/guide/impingement-syndrome

What doctor diagnosed your condition? Can you call and ask them questions?

I pray you get answers and relief soon.
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

cwat51 replied to davedsel's response:
Thanks for the link.
The Hospital Emergence Dr told me I had shoulder Impingement.

_swank_ replied to cwat51's response:
Since shoulder impingement isn't an emergency you should go to an orthopedic surgeon who can answer your questions. It is a lot cheaper than going to the ER.

cwat51 replied to _swank_'s response:
That might have been the case, however I was in a lot of extreme pain, it was on a weekend. I am on a very low income and can not afford the Orthopedic surgeon. I have not gotten medicair yet I still have a few more years yet. Besides the hospital will work out payments for the visit the Dr wants it now.
Beside this is not why I wrote in. I went to my Dr yesterday and was told it was arthritis, still no xray to prove it.
I need to know what exercise can be done and when. If I need to wait till it has healed or can do it with the medication
I hope you will answer my question as required
Thanks

annette030 replied to cwat51's response:
We are not allowed to act like doctors and tell people what to do and when to do it. We can offer suggestion based on our own experiences.

You have received two different diagnoses from two different doctors. That alone would make me think twice about suggesting therapy.

Ask your own doctor your questions, it helps me to write them all down so I don't forget anything before I go see mine.

Take care, Annette

Take care, Annette

Peter Abaci, MD responded:
If your shoulder is flared-up and painful and you aren't able to see a physician at the moment, then I think there are some basic measures that you could take to help calm things down. The ice treatment that you mentioned is probably a really good idea. Icing your shoulder multiple times during the day for a period of 1-2 weeks can hopefully calm down the inflammation and a lot of the discomfort. Supplementing that with over-the-counter anti-inflammatory medications for a few weeks also seems reasonable.

Simple shoulder stretches and avoiding over-head activity can help while you try to calm things down. At the same time, calming down the acute symptoms doesn't mean the underlying problem has been solved. In order to consider more specific treatments, you would probably either need more of a diagnostic work-up or at least a consultation with a doctor who has a lot experience with shoulder problems.

One basic shoulder stretch that I sometimes give my patients is to stand at a door way with the door opened away from you. Place your upper arms perpendicular to the floor and your elbows bent at 90 degrees so that your forearms rest comfortably on the doorway. Gently leaning forward can stretch the shoulder joint. Avoid leaning if it feels uncomfortable.

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

Sleepy
I have been on the same pain medication with no change and all of the sudden I can't stay awake and am losing weight. Has anyone else had ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.