Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    Includes Expert Content
    Shoulder Impingement syndrome
    cwat51 posted:
    I just found out that I have SIS. I have started ice treatment and aleve. When can I start exercise, and where do I go do find them
    Usually how long does this take to heal, Do I start exercise after it has healed? I am on a low income budget and can't afford to go to the Dr.
    I appreciate you help
    davedsel responded:

    Here is a link to information about Shoulder Impingement Syndrome on WebMD:

    What doctor diagnosed your condition? Can you call and ask them questions?

    I pray you get answers and relief soon.
    Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.


    cwat51 replied to davedsel's response:
    Thanks for the link.
    The Hospital Emergence Dr told me I had shoulder Impingement.
    _swank_ replied to cwat51's response:
    Since shoulder impingement isn't an emergency you should go to an orthopedic surgeon who can answer your questions. It is a lot cheaper than going to the ER.
    cwat51 replied to _swank_'s response:
    That might have been the case, however I was in a lot of extreme pain, it was on a weekend. I am on a very low income and can not afford the Orthopedic surgeon. I have not gotten medicair yet I still have a few more years yet. Besides the hospital will work out payments for the visit the Dr wants it now.
    Beside this is not why I wrote in. I went to my Dr yesterday and was told it was arthritis, still no xray to prove it.
    I need to know what exercise can be done and when. If I need to wait till it has healed or can do it with the medication
    I hope you will answer my question as required
    annette030 replied to cwat51's response:
    We are not allowed to act like doctors and tell people what to do and when to do it. We can offer suggestion based on our own experiences.

    You have received two different diagnoses from two different doctors. That alone would make me think twice about suggesting therapy.

    Ask your own doctor your questions, it helps me to write them all down so I don't forget anything before I go see mine.

    Take care, Annette

    Take care, Annette
    Peter Abaci, MD responded:
    If your shoulder is flared-up and painful and you aren't able to see a physician at the moment, then I think there are some basic measures that you could take to help calm things down. The ice treatment that you mentioned is probably a really good idea. Icing your shoulder multiple times during the day for a period of 1-2 weeks can hopefully calm down the inflammation and a lot of the discomfort. Supplementing that with over-the-counter anti-inflammatory medications for a few weeks also seems reasonable.

    Simple shoulder stretches and avoiding over-head activity can help while you try to calm things down. At the same time, calming down the acute symptoms doesn't mean the underlying problem has been solved. In order to consider more specific treatments, you would probably either need more of a diagnostic work-up or at least a consultation with a doctor who has a lot experience with shoulder problems.

    One basic shoulder stretch that I sometimes give my patients is to stand at a door way with the door opened away from you. Place your upper arms perpendicular to the floor and your elbows bent at 90 degrees so that your forearms rest comfortably on the doorway. Gently leaning forward can stretch the shoulder joint. Avoid leaning if it feels uncomfortable.

    Featuring Experts

    Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.