Skip to content
pain management dr or chiropracter
Khawks612 posted:
I hurt my back about 1 1/2 year ago by someone picking me up to pop it. Have had ongoing pain since then, never quite going away. I go to chiropracter usually once a month with a little relief but always comes back. Recently had an MRI and an old fracture between T4 and T5. Primary is sending me to pain management, I'm going back to chirpracter first because appt to pm is at least a month away and I need relief. My question is is pm worth the trouble or should I just stick with chiropracter?
davedsel responded:
Hello and welcome.

Chiropractic care is a highly controversial subject, especially in the WebMD Pain Management Community. I find that a regular adjustment helps me manage my chronic back pain. Others do not.

Who diagnosed the old fracture? Have you seen an orthopedic spine specialist? That would be the right specialist to see in this case.

Given that you have a fracture, I would think about putting the chiropractic adjustments on hold. That could cause worse pain and problems. A pain management specialist may be able to offer a variety of effective treatments and methods. The best are physiatrists as they go deeper in managing chronic pain and offer the most variety of methods.

IMHO, you should try and see a good spine specialist and get their opinion, and then see a good pain management specialist before doing any other type of treatment.

I pray you can get answers and relief soon.
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.


77grace responded:
Hi Khawks612,
I see in your post that you say that you get only a little relief from your chiropractor .why keep going ?like Dave said there is a lot of different opinions on this !I know my Surgeon and Nuerologist are against me going to a chiropractor but to each there own !If you really have a fracture you should follow with a spine Doctor ,That's my opinion anyway!
Take care and good luck,77grace

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

Gall bladder
Two years ago. I was experiencing a piercing pain dead center of the chest .it was like someone was taking their finger and pressing ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 3 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.