Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
If I maxed out on Tylenol, then what?
Feisty posted:
Can't find the answer to this anywhere. I am fighting a fever (102) for the past 24 hours. I have maxed out my Tylenol dosage for a 24 hour period. Is there anything else I can take aside from Tylenol should my fever spike again? Aside from homeopathic remedies. Can I take aspirin? Ibuprofen? In 4-5 hours since I have taken the 24 hour limit of Tylenol?

Please advise...

Thanks

davedsel responded:
Hello.

This would be an excellent time to call your doctor for advice. You may want to go to a walk-in immediate care clinic if your fever does not break soon or your symptoms get worse.

I pray you find relief soon.
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

annette030 responded:
Speak to a pharmacist at your local drug store, but if you are an otherwise healthy adult with no GI (stomach) issues, it should not be a problem to alternate tylenol with ibuprofen as directed on the bottle for fever. They are unrelated medicines, they work in completely different ways.

I personally would not treat a fever under 101 degrees, that is up to you and your doctor. It all depends on how you feel. Remember that a fever is a symptom of illness, you still may need to treat the illness itself. See your doctor or an urgent care doctor or nurse practitioner.

Take care, Annette

David Maine, MD responded:
Thanks for your post. You should discuss this further with your doctor. Pending the cause you can alternate Tylenol (Acetaminophen) with Motrin (Ibuprophen) but you should discuss with you doctor before proceeding. Hope you are feeling better.

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

how do you live with chronic pain
how do you live with pain everyday More
Was this Helpful?
42 of 65 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.