Skip to content
Electrical Nerve Stimilating Device
MaryBee posted:
Hi, I am new here. I am searching for friends who live with daily pain. I have fibromyalgia .neuropathy in my entire body, arthritis in my spine and list goes on. I am going for a trial run for 4 days with an electrical nerve Stimilating device. I am concerned how much pain is this to implant and how much success it has done for people. I am tired of surgeries or anything that causes more pain than I already live with. You will all be in my prayers. Thanks for any help you could give me.

davedsel responded:
Hello again, MaryBee. I welcomed you on the WebMD Back Pain Community.

I believe you are talking about a Spinal Cord Stimulator (SCS). Many people in this WebMD Pain Management Community have experience with this device with good results. My wife is considering one at her pain manager's recommendation as she became disabled from a back injury at work in March 2011.

We recently watched a video that showed the process. My understanding is that the surgery is minimally invasive and done on an out-patient basis. It sends a tingling sensation through the spinal cord and masks the pain. The device can be controlled by you using a remote in many cases.

Please updated us after your trial run. I pray this would be successful and help you manage your pain.
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

77grace responded:
Hi MaryBee ,
Welcome ,In hope your trail run with the spine stimulator gives you relief !
I agree that it would be nice to find something that works and hopefully that it gives you the relief you are looking for !I am sure you have tried other things,I can tell by your words !
God be with you too!
77grace

stphnf responded:
Hi MaryBee:

I have an implant after several back surgeries the final one being a 2 level fusion. The test implant is not so bad being implanted, but be prepared that when the turn on the stimulation part that it is ALWAYS stronger when lying down. I was very upset at first thinking it wasn't working since I didn't have the stimulation power up high enough for when I was standing. This was taken care of by the techs from St. Jude (the co. I got my unit from) I totally understand daily pain. I have RA, Osteoarthritis and Degenerating Disk Disease which has not only attached my back but I am going in Monday to have Radiofrequency Nerve Ablation for 4 nerves in my neck. Normal life stinks most of the time, but get the test implant. It was worth it in my case.

rocketray55 replied to stphnf's response:
I have had the unit implant end in me for about 10 years the surgery went pretty easy as surgery goes , I've had the unit replaced in 2011 for a batterie and upgrade. I use it for my leg pain mostly,I've had surgery on my back L5S1,L4, I have chronic pain in my legs all the time, I also take methodone and lyrics.
The unit does help with the pain, but is no substitute for pain meds hope it helps you!!!

Feardorcha68 responded:
Hi MaryBee.
I had the spinal cord stimulator trial last month.
It stayed in for a week and I really think that it's going to help me when I get the implant one.
The trial wasn't painful at all. I was expecting some pain. My doctor gave me some novacaine or some kind of numbing agent injected before the trial started. That hurt a little, but the rest of it wasn't bad.
Now I'm waiting for my insurance company to give the doctor an answer to if they're going to pay for it.
I hope so. I don't know what it cost if insurance won't pay, but I'm sure it's more than I can spend.

I have a friend who has a spinal cord stimulation implant. I knmwo that she loves it.

When is your trial?
Like Davedsel said will you write again and tell how it went?

Feardorcha

Angrybitterman replied to Feardorcha68's response:
Hello,
I have had a spinal cord stimulator for 4 years. The doctor who put it in me would not even give me Percocet for pain and I was desperate for pain relief. I had the trial and got an infection, but I still went for the SCS because I was desperate. To make a very long story short, it did not work for me. It actually caused more pain than it was to cure. I am sorry I had the SCS put in me and would love to have it removed. I know that SCS works for some people, but I would have to say there is a 50% chance that it will work for you in the long term. I wish you luck with whatever choice you make, but I will say that that you should follow your gut feeling and do whatever that tells you. If I had followed my gut feeling, I would not have had the SCS implanted. Good luck.

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

how do you live with chronic pain
how do you live with pain everyday More
Was this Helpful?
42 of 64 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.