Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    chronic pain disability?
    mhosman6 posted:
    I have multiple back ailments (3 neck fusions,thoracic herniation,low back herniations and saccroiliitis?) and more. been to pain clinics for injections and ablations. at point cant do work, what kind of dr do I need to see?
    davedsel responded:

    You would probably get the best results by seeing a spinal orthopedic specialist or spinal neurologist. Just make sure the doctor has training and experience in treating spinal conditions.

    You may also benefit from seeing a pain management specialist that is a physiatrist. These specialists offer a wide variety of treatment methods.

    I pray you find answers and relief soon.
    Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.


    annette030 responded:
    Like the other poster suggested, I would see a neurologist that specializes in spinal problems.

    Take care, Annette
    Peter Abaci, MD responded:
    Because chronic pain can be such a complex and all-encompassing problem, we often recommend that patients be provided an interdisciplinary or multidisciplinary team of providers that can work together to optimize treatment and recovery. Evidence-based outcome studies also support this more comprehensive approach for better outcomes.

    A pain specialist or physiatrist may be the best type of specialist to help put this together for you. Other specialists that they would want to work with to better serve you could include a pain psychologist, physical therapist, and occupational therapist, as well as the spine surgeon who did your past operations. By doing this, one primary doctor can help coordinate your care by providing you valuable help in dealing with all of the many different complex but interrelated aspects of your pain condition. For example, a patient at my center would have access to psychologists, physical therapists, exercise trainers, art therapists, life coaches, and yoga teachers that could become a part of the treatment team to provide the best and most comprehensive care possible. Sometimes a team approach works best as opposed to relying on just one doctor.
    mhosman6 replied to Peter Abaci, MD's response:
    thanks for reply. sounds good to me. I will have to discuss with drs. I have been going to different drs. and specialists for over 3 yrs. always told I could try this or that but nothing ever followed thru. going to discuss with bcbs on tues. what options r. all pain clinics have just looked af 1 area at a time. inj and ablations. I feel whole pic. needs to be addressed. all drs. have just bounced me around. getting nowhere if not worse. to top it off I take coumidin so cant do anti-inflammatories, they tell me to use ice. going to put together all mris, with no options only thing I can do is stop coumidin(dr. advises against, but I am pretty close to it. feel like I need to take care of myself and that is only thing I can control,(I sent note to dr that I am discontinuing coumidin)waiting for reply. hope it didn't sound threatening. that is not my intention. just being realistic. ready to follow thru. not looking for pain meds(that is not what I am looking for) I just need help. I feel like I am just going around in circles. thanks for any advice
    TDXSP08 responded:
    Without a Cohesive plan that has been followed showing what is wrong and what steps have been taken to correct the problem and without many Doctors agreeing that you can not Work Period not even a desk job or light duty depending on your skill set,if you are looking for Social Security disability You will have a tough road to hoe. You also have to take into consideration how much work You have missed due to illness and recovery from surgery and find out from Social Security Do you have enough Quarters to claim Disability? AS long as you have enough Quarters And your Doctors are behind You apply !! but don't be shocked 99% of applicants are automatically denied the first two times ,then you get a lawyer to help you appeal.
    i have no small step for man, but i have 6 tires for mankind,Watch your Toes!

    Featuring Experts

    Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

    Helpful Tips

    Be the first to post a Tip!

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.