Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    dr dismisses me. what do I do now?
    Brandonbays1984 posted:
    I got an mri in april this year which showed two fused vertebrae and a herniated disc. Every time I bring it up to my dr he dismisses me by saying the mri was read wrong even though two other drs confirmed it.I went to physical therapy for 3 months and the dr wont authorize anymore. The only thing I get for pain is tramadol 37.5mg which limits the tylenol I can take for my migraines I get. I have tried being assertive with him but only get shot down.i cant switch drs until jan 2014 b/c of insurance. PLEASE HELP! What do I do now?
    davedsel responded:

    Does your health insurance require referrals from your primary to see a specialist? If it does, then you need to implore your primary doctor to refer you to a spine specialist such as an orthopedist or neurologist. If no referral is required, then find one and make an appointment.

    IMHO, you do need to change primary doctors and I hope you can find one that will help you in 2014.
    Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.


    David Maine, MD replied to davedsel's response:
    Thank you for your post. You should be able to see a specialist at any point (you may need a referral pending insurance). I would ask your doctor about seeing a specialist (perhaps pain or spine). It can be very frustrating when concerns are not validated and hopefully you will find answers, compassion, and effective treatment options in the future. Good luck.
    annette030 responded:
    Please remember that the radiologists who read your MRI never see you at all, and do not know you at all. I would ask to be referred to a specialist, take your MRI with you, and see what he says after examining you. You need both an MRI and a physical exam and a history to get any real answers.

    Take care, Annette
    blessedladyptl responded:
    Brandonbays1984 ,

    Have you seen the MRI report(s) ? I agree you need to change doctors. But, I also think you need to get a copy of your medical records to see what is in them. It would also help to know what you might be facing from the stand point of what your doctor has written in them.

    Featuring Experts

    Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

    Helpful Tips

    Be the first to post a Tip!

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.