Chronic Pain,and having my morphine pump removed.
NavalVeteran posted:
I have been suffering from chronic pain for the past 15+ years, due to sever arthritis in all my joint, due to hepatitis-C; and for the past 14 years, I have had a Medtronic's morphine pump implanted in me. All was going well, until the hospital where my pain doctor worked, decided to get out of pain management, so I had to find a different doctor. Everything was fine for several years, but about one year ago, I had went into a diabetic coma. I spent two weeks in the I.C.U. and another week in a regular room. During the entire stay, I never ate one thing, or had any desire to eat. When I asked my liver doctor about this, I was told the stage four cirrhosis of the liver can cause a person not to be hungry ( I contacted hepatitis-C, while I was in the navy, back in the 1970's, when they did not use disposable syringes or needles). Yet once I got home, I still had no desire to eat, and was worried about my diabetes. So out of desperation, I asked a friend if I could take a puff off some marijuana, so see if it would help make me hungry, which it did. I told my pain doctor's nurse about this, and she went and told my pain doctor. He then had me drug tested for marijuana, and the test came back negative. Yet ever since then, my doctor refused to give me break-through pain medication any more; instead, all he would do is keep increasing the flow rate of my pump, putting me way out in left field, and I can not stand that feeling. He never even said anything about not driving. The VA paid for one of the "Tame the Pain" devices, that is supposed to give you a bolus amount of morphine, but my doctor had it set so low, that it did nothing for me. So at that point, I decided that I did not want the morphine pump inside of me anymore, as I like to be aware of what is going on around me. I finally found a doctor, who agreed with me, and had been wheeling me off the morphine pump for the past 8 months. Yet, the only thing he will give me is Vicoden, for my pain, and this just does not do one thing for me. I am the one who wanted to be taken off the morphine pump, but not because I was no longer in pain, as I still suffer on a daily basis. The VA has a psychologist that comes to my house every week, and she asked me to ask my pain doctor for a treatment plan, as we both want to know what he intends on doing with me, once I am off my pump. I see my pain doctor every three weeks, and that gave him three weeks to provide me with a treatment plan. When I went in for my last visit, I asked him if he had a treatment plan that I asked him for, and he told me NO. What is so hard for a doctor to provide a treatment plan? Does he expect for Vicoden to take the place of what I was getting from my morphine pump? In addition to my pump, I was getting 200 mgs. of morphine X 4 daily for my breakthrough pain, prior to me confessing to taking two hits off some pot. Prior to having a morphine pump implanted, I was on a massive does of eight 80 mgs, of Oxycotin, X 4 daily for my pain. This would kill the average person, and while I was on the pump, this spared my liver from having to process the pain medication, as it went from my pump, directly into my spinal region. So I am at a loss, as I have no idea what my doctor intends on doing with me, but I have a feeling that he is going to leave me hanging. If he does this, then life quality will suck so bad, that there would be no reason to keep going. This does not mean I will harm myself, but the doctor will put me in a spot, where I cannot handle the pain I am in 24/7. Is it that much of a problem, to ask a doctor for a proposed treatment plan, and what he intends on doing with me? My concentration rate of the morphine, is now so low, that is might as well be pure saline solution going into me, and having that pump, sticking out of my stomach, where is looks like I went to a hockey game, and got hit by a puck, and it stuck in me, is rather sickening looking. Thank you for your time to read this long post.

Take the Poll

If ask, should a doctor provide you with a treatment plan?
  • Yes
  • No
vote
View Poll Results

NavalVeteran responded:
In addition to a poll, I would also like to have a pain management doctor give me some insite to this problem. Thank you again for your time.
Sincerely,
Lee Bolin

annette030 replied to NavalVeteran's response:
Put "a doctor is wanted" in the header, he will respond to direct questions, at least he always has for me.

Take care, Annette