Skip to content
blood clot???
tcarracao posted:
have PAIN in my left leg,swelling,below knee, test in ER came back positive for blood clots, should i be concerned??

davedsel responded:
Hello.

Yes, you should be concerned. In 1997 I have my first blood clot aka DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis) in my left leg. I was hospitalized for 5 days while on heparin then oral coumadin. Went home and was rushed back via ambulance 2 days later with a blood clot in my lung aka PE (Pulmonary Embolism). Part of the DVT broke off and traveled through my heart and lodged in my lung. A greenfield filter was surgically implanted into my vena cava to prevent any further PE's. I had 3 more DVT's over the next 3-4 years in my left leg but finally stopped collecting them.

I am sure you are now on an anticoagulant such as coumadin or the generic form warfarin. Follow your doctor's orders strickly and get blood tests at least once per month as per your doctor's instructions.
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

ctbeth responded:
Hi tcarracao,

Since you've been medically evaluated, your treating MD should advise you on how the situation will be best resolved for you.

The size of the clot will determine your medicine and mobility vs immobility status.

I cannot imagine that you were diagnosed with blood clot(s), assuming in your vasculature, and were sent home with no further instructions.

Do follow your treating teams instructions to the letter.

Best wishes for a full recovery.

CTB

tcarracao replied to ctbeth's response:
Thank you Davedsel, currently i am not taking any meds for this
CTBeth, thank you... actually i went into the ER because i was having severe chest pains, left side of my body from the top of my head to my feet were numb, tingling and weak. i have been going through some extremely stressful times, so i just thought it was stress, all the tests for my heart came back negative, everything was good, they said the blood test for clots was positive. i have seen my primary doc and she is referring me to a cardiologist ASAP, because i am still having pains in my chest but this pain with my leg is insane, the pain started down near my ankle and now it is almost up to my knee..this might sound like a really dumb question but does the pain travel with the clot, even if a little piece were to break off?? i told my doc i feel dumb going to the ER again, i don't want them thinking i'm crazy..but better safe then sorry.

davedsel replied to tcarracao's response:
If your symptoms have changed or gotten worse, then get to the ER again asap. You need to be re-tested and properly treated.
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

ctbeth replied to tcarracao's response:
I absolutely second Dave's reply!

Please check back when you're feeling up to it and let us know how you're coming along.

Best wishes.

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

how do you live with chronic pain
how do you live with pain everyday More
Was this Helpful?
42 of 65 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.