Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Out of Meds, Out of Options
sharongaye posted:
I am out of my pain medicine and out of options. I had to move suddenly due to financial issues. I am in a new state and don't know where to turn for help. I made an apt with a new pain management physician but they won't see me until they receive my records from the old Dr. I called my PCP and explained but he has not returned my call yet. It is now a weekend so no Dr is available. That leaves me home, in pain, without meds for over a month. Do I go to the Emergency department here ? And will they help me until my appointment with the new Dr ? I wish there was an alternative, but I feel like I won't make it. I took my last pill this morning and it's getting unbearable. Any suggestions for a new member would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Missy

blessedladyptl responded:
Has your pcp been rxing your pain meds ? You didn't say the reason(s) your taking them or what they are or what type of insurance you have. All those things factor in when you go to a ER. But, don't be surprised if the ER doesn't give you what you've been taking.

sharongaye replied to blessedladyptl's response:
No, I've been going to Pain management, they Rx my meds. I have severe RA, sacroiliac joint arthritis and spinal stenosis, also multiple herniated disks. I have been disabled since 1997 so I have Medicare only. Does the hospital admit me? Or do they just treat and release? I've made it through the night but can't walk, can't get comfortable...I've never been in this situation before and I think I'm having withdrawls? I just want to be able to get up n shower n be somewhat normal. I can't take it anymore. I'm a very happy person usually. Thanks blessedladyptl for responding. It helps to know someone hears me.

blessedladyptl replied to sharongaye's response:
The ER may not give you anything, It is possible they will send you home with nothing like you're use to or possibly nothing at all. I don't see them admitting you for the reasons you've stated alone.

nodisc responded:
Hi, what ever became of your situation?? That's gotta be a rotten feeling, running out like that. To bad that you couldn't have planned ahead, that is look for another pain mgmt. provider before you moved, so you would have been covered when you made the move. Please let us know what happened.

ctbeth responded:
Hi Sharon,

You posted a week ago, so your situation, I hope, should be resolved.

I would think that your pain management MD who has been treating you before your move would be the one who should be covering you medically until you see a new MD.

It's unfortunate that you got caught in such a situation.

I hope that you'll write and update us.

Beth

sharongaye replied to ctbeth's response:
Well, I made it to another pain management doc who Rx'd for the same thing I was on, however, it cost me $600. between doc n meds because I had also lost my insurance for Rx and of course the doc only takes cash. I have insurance now and am searching for someone who accepts insurance. I'm also considering the Suboxone as they claim it is used for pain also. Sorry it took so long to get back here, my internet was shut off due to the cost of my medical issues. Thank you all for caring! I will be back (1) to let y'all know if anyone takes insurance, (2) how the Suboxone plays out, (3) to see if anyone has opinions on the doc's and insurance and/or about the suboxone...pro's, con's??

jstbrznby responded:
Hi
I went thru the same thing I had been on Methadone for years and suddenly every one has gone nuts about managing pain with it and I thought I was going to die. No Dr.s would treat me I have been getting Vicodin which is a joke for long term pain as we just build up such a resistance to it and I hate it. I just don't understand why if I have 10 years of the same Dr. managing my pain that another Dr can't just follow your records. Suddenly there is so much bad publicity pertaining to managing chronic pain with meds but what is the government thinking? Isn't better to make sure people are going to a doctor and records being kept at a time when the drug cartels are making millions off of selling much worse drugs? I am just beside myself and wondered if I am the only one?

blessedladyptl replied to jstbrznby's response:
jstbrznby , I don't believe you're alone. And I believe many more will be joining you as time goes on. There are alot of people who have been told by their drs to not worry because they will always treat them with the same meds. BUT, drs retire and die and people have to change. One dr can recommend that another continue treatment, but that doesn't mean another dr will. The bottom line seems to be to get people off of pain meds they have been taking. And that will include those on meds like methadone. Especially as the regulators make their presence know more and more. Some say if a dr isn't doing anything wrong that they have nothing to worry about, which is true to a point. But, the pressure of regulators over seeing what a dr writes and what he writes it for and the mg and dosage along with the pressure of being told it needs to change is something that the drs couldn't have forseen.

There also seems to be a big push towards patients having surgery/more surgery. Of course they may end up worse off and in more pain but that isn't the most important thing anymore.

ctbeth replied to blessedladyptl's response:
Or, when a problem causing pain can be surgically repaired, the situation causing the pain may be corrected and pain may be diminished or relieved.

sam1985 responded:
Here is the best pain management site = http://www.drpferraro.com/bergen_county_nj_pain_management.php

cweinbl replied to sharongaye's response:
Suboxone is an opioid antagonist. Designed to treat drug abusers, it will negate the effects of any opioid in your system. The jury is still out on research for long-term chronic pain relief with an opioid antagonist (Naloxone is another one). From what I've seen so far, I would not wish to depend upon it in a pinch.
cweinbl
csw2@bex.net

blessedladyptl replied to cweinbl's response:
morphine/naltrexone combination (Embeda Extended Release) is coming back on the market.

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

Every Chronic Pain Patient Needs to READ THIS!!!
There is a group of thirty seven Doctors, Companies. and Researchers that are petitioning the FDA to change the labels on Opiates so that ... More
Was this Helpful?
44 of 49 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.